Retro fitting a lambda probe

Gritman

Hello Techies.

I have a 2000 V11 not currently fitted with a lambda probe, but I'm quite attracted to the closed efi system. Does anyone have any info on how to retro-wire it in? Or do I need a more up-to-date 15m (or a my15M).....

thanks!

Hello Techies.

I have a 2000 V11 not currently fitted with a lambda probe, but I'm quite attracted to the closed efi system. Does anyone have any info on how to retro-wire it in? Or do I need a more up-to-date 15m (or a my15M).....

thanks!

The WM15m that was used on the last Nevadas & Cali cruisers had a lambda but that was only for keeping the engine super lean at idle [since vehicles sitting at stop lights produce a lot of exhaust for no fwd motion]; basically, at anything over 2.5k rpm or thereabouts, the ecu goes into normal open-circuit alpha-N mode. So yes, you'd need a much more modern ecu system if you want to operate in closed-loop efi.

Full time closed-loop efi isn't really necessary; if you go w/ something like the MY15, you can run it w/ a wide-band sensor & one of his utilities [sorry, I don't have one & can't remember the entire process as described] to get all the fueling points dialed in, & then it runs off the custom map generated BY your bike, FOR your bike. Seems like the best of both worlds, as long as there isn't a sudden shift in fuel quality or the ratios of atmospheric gases... ;)

Hello Techies.

thanks!

The WM15m that was used on the last Nevadas & Cali cruisers had a lambda but that was only for keeping the engine super lean at idle [since vehicles sitting at stop lights produce a lot of exhaust for no fwd motion]; basically, at anything over 2.5k rpm or thereabouts, the ecu goes into normal open-circuit alpha-N mode. So yes, you'd need a much more modern ecu system if you want to operate in closed-loop efi.

Full time closed-loop efi isn't really necessary; if you go w/ something like the MY15, you can run it w/ a wide-band sensor & one of his utilities [sorry, I don't have one & can't remember the entire process as described] to get all the fueling points dialed in, & then it runs off the custom map generated BY your bike, FOR your bike. Seems like the best of both worlds, as long as there isn't a sudden shift in fuel quality or the ratios of atmospheric gases... ;)

thanks skeeve, I'll resume an ongoing conversation with Mr Jeffries. What a patient man he is :rolleyes:. I kinda like the whole self-tuning concept, and it can always be regressed/overridden if necessary. I Think the Myecu range have it as a switchable option?

Anywaysup. Back to the spanners for me :luigi: I've got a bit of time before the engine and frame are reunited, so I can use that to ponder.