Rear axle hex size?

Unkept

Hello all,

I'm a fairly regular poster on WildGuzzi, but today I need the expertise of the v11lemans gurus...

I have owned my 2002 Lemans for almost two years now. I had already replaced the front tire, but I have never had a reason to remove the rear wheel. 

Well I want to remove the wheel to better grease the driveshaft/inspect the u-joints, etc. Basically it's my winter project, I'd also like to change the rear tire sooner than later.

I bought a 14mm 1/2" hex socket to remove the axel, as my tool kit seemed to be missing this piece. 

I can't get it to work on the rear axle! The 14mm socket appears to be too big. The nut has been removed, the caliper bracket, etc... but I can't get the socket I bought to fit the axle on the rear wheel....

It fits perfectly in the front axle! I thought both the front and the rear axle's were 14mm? Is the rear axle actually 13mm? I measured with my calipers and the diagonal measurements "farthest points inside the bolt" are different front to back....  :glare:

I don't have much money, so I can't just buy a $300 set of 1/2" hex sockets. I have a set of hand driven hex keys, but they only go up to 10mm.

Any help is appreciated! I have no one to borrow tools from, so I hate to spend more money buying a 13mm socket before hearing back from you guys.

Thanks,

Joe

I just walked outside in the shop to check mine. It is a 14mm hex on the r.h. side. Maybe someone else has damaged it . Try tapping it (the tool) in to see if it goes ?

I just walked outside in the shop to check mine. It is a 14mm hex on the r.h. side. Maybe someone else has damaged it . Try tapping it (the tool) in to see if it goes ?

It seems like the axle being damaged is the most logical answer... I can try tapping the hex bit when I get a chance. Chuck on WildGuzzi says I could use a pencil grinder to "fix" the bolt. 

I'd like to replace the rear axle if I can ever remove the old one.  :glare:

Thanks for checking the size for me!  :thumbsup:

Hi Unkept!I have  very same  problem,I bay 14/17( http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OIL-Drain-Plug-Key-Sizes-14-17mm-Hex-ALLEN-BIT-SOCKET-/181052332449?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item2a278f59a1) hex  and its fit perfect on front axel but wont fit on rear ,problem was on edge so I take little fill and grinded edge now fit ok.

Hey Solar,

Did you file the inside edge of the axle bolt, or the outside edges of the hex bit itself? I'm thinking it had to be damage to the axle from over torquing or hammering.