STEERING HEAD BEARINGS ADJUSTMENT OR REPLACEMENT ?

bikelee

:huh2:  I have my 03  V11 Lemans on the lift now ( just replaced the fork oil )  and have noticed some play in the steering bearings when I push and pull straight back and forth on the bottoms of the fork. If I pull "diagonally" there is no slop. The bike only has 5800 miles so I am thinking that I just need to tighten the bearings a little. Am I wrong or should I just replace the bearings ( i ordered new ones just in case ) ?

I think I'm gonna start with just tightening the bearings and I need to get the top triple tree off. Do I have to  take the whole front end apart (AGAIN ! ) to just to take the top triple tree off or can i just loosen the pinch bolts were they attach to the forks, loosen the bolt where it attaches to the post of the triple tree and remove the top bolt where it goes through the top triple tree and finally lift off the top triple tree ?

I've never done this before. I am gonna take a lot of pictures and notes.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I do have a shop manual but it is very sketchy and vague in many areas. Thanks !! :notworthy:

remove/loosen anything attached to the t/t, loosen or remove the center nut and loosen the two clamping bolts. You have to loosen the handle bars as well. Then lift the t/t just enough to be able to push the spanner under it and tighten the nut just enough to get rid of the mentioned play. 

Especially with used bearings IMHO it's much better to stay slightly on the loose side. Otherwise you risk to get a snappy steering head.

Hubert

Edit: dissasemble the whole front and you can check whether the s/h bearings are properly lubed.  

:mg:  I'm glad I took the front end apart. The lower bearing was notched and worn. Not enough grease from the factory.

Just want to thank everybody for the help. I was able to replace the bearings and races without too much trouble. The old races popped right out with a little persuasion from a good drift. Put the new races in the freezer and heated the steering neck and the new races went in with just a little help from a light hammer hitting the old races and slowly bring the new race home.
Greased the new bearings real good !! Knocked the old lower bearing off of the steering post with a good chisel and pushed the new bearing on with the old bearing with little effort. Put everything back together, adjusted the "tension" nut and now the steering is nice and firm and precise. I'll check it in about 500 miles and retighten if necessary. This video was a great help. 
http://www.garagenight.tv/ep-5-replacing-steering-head-bearings/
Again thanks for all the help !!

I used a propane torch to slowly and evenly heat the area where the race fits. Between that  and putting the races in the freezer, the races tapped in nice and easy. PATIENCE is a key here. i did the job slowly and carefully.