Help with 43 mm marzochis?

PDoz

It's a long shot, but does anyone have any photos / manuals for reassembling a set of 43 mm marzochis ?

My lemans forks were halfway through a service when the mechanic got sick and , sadly, he eventually passed away. I'd like to try reassembling them myself, but failing that I'd like to be sure they go back together in the right order when I accept defeat.

Ok, I'm starting to suspect some of the bits returned to me are not from my forks, and not everything was returned....

There are 2 white plastic tubes with bushes on either end, and one end has what looks like a primitive valve . The whole thing is about 7 cm long and 38 mm diameter. For the life of me I can't work out how it fits. I've got a picture from an 03 workshop manual , and nothing in the exploded view matches this mystery part.

Also, does anyone have dimensions for the spacer that sits below the springs? They seem to have been lost, and I susect it'd be easer to make up new ones than try to track down the originals. ( the workshop is 250 km away and he was a one man operation)

First of all .. two things!! 

One ... pictures would help the techno-dudes who know the internals.

Two .... remember that one fork does compression and one fork does rebound so I don't think they will look the same side to side .... but again this is for the techno-dudes who know such shyte.

Sad about the mechanic and sorry about your forks. 

PDoz, you need to look up that guy that rides a green Griso with a pink seat. oh yea Roper …Pete Roper(just kidding pete)

He's probably forgotten more about Guzzi's than most people ever knew.

In the mean time ,I'll see if I'm smart enough to scan and post something out of the shop manual 

Do your forks have a 19 mm nut in the center of the cap w/a small adjuster screw in the center ? If so , it is the early style fork. If it is the other style it is a later model fork. I have a complete fork leg you can use/have as a guide to reassemble with.

Mine are the post 03 marzochis, which is why I'm struggling to find a picture online. The 22 mm nut in the cap is spring preload and the central screw is rebound adjustment, both legs are identical. I'm negotiating with my new computer over posting a picture of the mystery part.......

Peter roper....now that's a good idea! I'm not sure I'd trust australia post to get the forks to him this time of year, but I'll keep that option up my sleeve for if local connections don't work.

Andy, thanks for the offer but if I was intending to post a set of forks from the us I'd be searching ebay for ohlins.

i think gstallons missed your location. lol

If that type of piece is in my 02 forks its made of metal. It looks like the valve assembly that the oil 

flows through. If thats what it is it should attach to the damper rod somehow.

I scanned the workshop manual ...if you pm your email i'll send it on .

Thanks andy, I thought I already had pm'd me email but I'll do it again.

The mystery is, the hole in the end is too small for the damepening rod the fit through, and the whole thing is too narrow for the dampening cartridge to fit inside, so I can't imagine how it fits .

i think gstallons missed your location. lol

If that type of piece is in my 02 forks its made of metal. It looks like the valve assembly that the oil 

flows through. If thats what it is it should attach to the damper rod somehow.

I scanned the workshop manual ...if you pm your email i'll send it on .

I did .

Andy, thanks for the 02 forks diagram. Unfortunately mine are completely different. You did help explain mystery part no 2, which is what looks like a set of gold valves but seem unsuitable for the 03 forks. I suspect Greg had ordered them before realizing the 03 dampening is all in a sealed cartridge, and I now have a surplus set of 02 gold valves ("b" in the last image you sent)

Thanks

The plot thickens. Mystery part looks like it's from a kyb fork compression stack, as seen here.

http://www.motoobsession.com/MO_Tech/suspension/forks-revalve/forks-revalve.aspx

So it appears I just need the dimensions of the tube that sits below the spring ( or a repacement) , as seen on page 109 of the 03 manual ( it took a while, but I almost found what I was after!!)

http://www.thisoldtractor.com/gtbender/mg_manuals/workshop_manual_v11_update_en_de_ne.pdf

Thanks for your help everyone!

I will confirm that the "mystery" part is out of a set of KYB dirt bike forks. It is part of the mid valve assembly, both Yamaha and Kawasaki use those.

As for your missing preload spacer you can make one from PVC tubing. This is a fairly common procedure for adjusting spring preload on forks that have no preload adjusters. While I don't have a sample to give you a starting length, you can get close with a little quick measuring. Normally you would need to compress the spring approximately 25mm or so to get the cap on. You may have to adjust that length after you check the sag.

So...What we know is that someone else had already been in the forks before your drama and possibly put different valves in.

Most of todays "modern Forks" have one of two sizes of cartridges. Since I can not remember I'll just say a big one and a small one.

Ohlins makes two sizes of cartridge inserts that fit about 90% of the forks out there that are not already Ohlins.

This way you can have "fake Ohlins"

As emry said ....spacers from PVC. My advice on length is to "make it as long as possible and still get the cap on without screwing up the threads."

Anybody that has done this job themselves knows what Im talking about ..lol.. :grin:

I did not want a limo ride so I have what I consider a race sag  setup. Its just what I like. Plus you can always "shortin" if its to long.

You also need to consider what springs you have ...straight rate or progressive.

keep us posted

I will confirm that the "mystery" part is out of a set of KYB dirt bike forks. It is part of the mid valve assembly, both Yamaha and Kawasaki use those.

As for your missing preload spacer you can make one from PVC tubing. This is a fairly common procedure for adjusting spring preload on forks that have no preload adjusters. While I don't have a sample to give you a starting length, you can get close with a little quick measuring. Normally you would need to compress the spring approximately 25mm or so to get the cap on. You may have to adjust that length after you check the sag.

Thanks , I've got a few lengths of tubing from various ktm forks over the years so I know the concept, I just wasn't sure what length to start with. 25 mm preload sounds good. The standard srings are progressively wound and tapered. Unfortunately only one spring came back. The new springs are fixed rate, although shorter and a stiffer rate. Stamped w12 ( wilburs springs) .

Andy. I'm pretty certain the KYB parts were just lying around in the general vicinity of my forks when they got returned. All the dimensions are wrong for my forks, and the post 03 marzochis have a non rebuildable dampening cartridge so adding these parts just doesn't make sense. I think...... I'll know in a week or so when our local machining shop reopens ( so I can get the tubes)