Ian Falloon books

dangerous

There is some steering angle details buried in this thread .... but you'll have to read the whole thread to find it ......... hehehehehe!!!!

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15075&page=1

Sheesh! The link goes to page 1. Of 20.

I think you're going to be owing me a beer. And, I, you! :drink:

EDIT: No, wait! Helio-Jim posts on at Post# 13 and #293.   Agent Provocateur?? B)

• 3 weeks later...

Chamberlin, how about that Pullen book report ?

Amazon is now showing a Feb/March delivery! My wife is pissed! Me too of course!

Just got another update, they are saying the book should be here around Jan. 30th...we'll see!

I notice, also, from the Leek u. Zeyen book: of the 255 pages, the first 48 are a nicely written history, and for the "Motorcycles" the V-twin fills all pages 107-255 making it almost 3/4 about the V-twins.

Pullen book has arrived....

Nice coffee table book, but not sure there is much more than general historical over-view material though...

Certainly not a book for V11 fans, as there are only two! V11 related photos: the Coppa Italia original racer at the museum, and random shot of a bagged-up 2002 champagne V11 Le Mans (from UK doing a factory pilgrimage).

The V11 text is also extremely brief for a book of this size, barely a side bar's/footnote's worth. Basically mentions the V11 was the bike the Centauro was supposed to be, and then proceeds to detail the Aprilia history and take over during the

time of the V11 and the company's 80th birthday. Rosso Mandello model mentioned as well. No juicy tech info whatsoever.

Docc, I will read over the birth of the V Twin/V7 section and try to verify the historical choices the author made...if you can give me a quick synopsis (via PM) of the 'controversy' this will help, as I am a Guzzi newb ;)

"Brief"  :whistle:  synopsis from the thread Origins of the Guzzi V-twin:

(From post#1): While it is widely known that the V7 introduced by Moto Guzzi in the 1960s was designed by engineer Guilio Carcano (along with Umberto Todero), the myth that it was derived from "a tractor" ( the 3x3 Mulo, or military mule) has been so often repeated to have become (wrongly) accepted as fact. Many thanks to Greg Field, Moto Guzzi Big Twins, MBI publishing, 1998, for his outstanding research on this.

(Post#7: Field interviewed and quoted both Guilio Carcano and Umberto Todero who designed and executed the V7 engine for the original police specification trials. They both gave clear responses that the V7 had nothing to do with the Mulo V-twin which was designed primarily by Micucci.

(And post#19): Having reviewed also the works of Mario Colombo (1977, translated to English in 1990), Ian Falloon, David Styles, and Greg Field, I would be comfortable holding the opinion that it is, in fact, Mick Walker who started this whole misconception that the Guzzi motorcycle V-twin started in a tractor. It becomes a story line that he repeated in print for at least thirteen years, and was repeated by others, so as to be repeated today as if it were true and well founded.

OK! So I read the birth of the V-Twin section, and it seems that Greg Pullen has it correctly.

"Brief" bullet point recap of Pullen's text:

• Carcano had been working on a powerful and simple V-twin since the demise of the V8 in 1957
  • Carcano had dreamed of building a road going V-twin but his original designs in the 50's never made it off the drawing board
  • after the V8 project was dropped, he re-visted the idea of the V-twin, hoping it would find a place in farm water pumps and be a utilitarian motor, but Moto Guzzi ignored and concentrated on the 2-stroke designs
  • Carcano kept the V-twin idea for a motorcycle in the background, but in the meantime dropped his prototype into a Fiat Nuova 500 for fun (causing a few rumors in the auto journalism world)
  • Moto Guzzi did employ a 90 Deg. V-twin in the attempted replacement for the Ercole/Ercolino Motocarri trikes: a military vehicle called the 3x3...only about 200 were built, but this 754cc V-twin motor was penned by Micucci, not Carcano
  • the Micucci motor was related to the Carcano engine only by the most basic layout and had little else in common with Carcano's design
  • Guzzi finally entertained Carcano's idea to power a Fiat, but Fiat showed no interest...and as we all know now, Abarth became Fiat's tuning house instead
  • a bidding for a new government motorcycle contract was offered up to Guzzi, Gilera, Laverda and Benelli in 1963
  • Carcano and Todero re-fit the V-twin intended for the Fiat into a motorcycle chassis and won the contract
  • 1965 Milan show debuted the 704cc robust engine as a commercial offering while police and army contracts were also being filled
  • Carcano was focused on squeezing power for racing in his previous designs, but this time he was focused on longevity for this new V7 motor
  • big end bearings which were easily accessible like a car
  • sump unbolted like a car
  • electric start only like a car (big battery and generator)
  • produced until 1976 with USA buying the bulk of the production run

So, looks like Pullen has put another nail in the coffin of Mick Walker's mis-informed storyline.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

So chamberlain and docc what's the finel result here ?

Which book are we going to promote? I farked up at work this week landing me in hospital, back home but won't be walking for a while buggered me arm and back, which book should I look into ordering or is there another I should look at?