Starter/Ignition/Electrical Problem?

Tommy Molotov

I'm waking my Guzzi up after a winter rest, and it's failing to start. I've charged the battery like normal, and when I put the key into the starting position, all of the lights activate and I hear the fuel pump...just like normal.

But when I push the ignition, there's a loud click at the starter, and all of the lights dim as if the battery is out of juice. The relays start clicking for awhile. Later the lights go back to normal and the relays stop clicking, but if I try to start it it happens again.

I've listened to the relays with the seat off, and it's usually the second from the front. But a couple of times it's been the last one, toward the back of the bike. I've swapped relays around to no noticeable effect.

Should I be replacing the relays or does this sound like a bigger problem?

Number two will be the series of connections:

>Make sure the terminal stack is perfectly tight on the battery.

>Clean and tighten the main ground to the back right of the gearbox behind the seat lock.

>Clean and tighten the connections to the starter.  The starter, itself, and its solenoid can be removed, cleaned and inspected. Sometimes, the internal magnets come loose.

>The ignition switch might need to be cleaned and lubricated.

We can link you to threads on all of these things, but let's make sure the battery is solid first.

Battery or connections

To eliminate the starter as a possible cause jumper from the solenoid small spade terminal to the battery Positive or the large hot terminal

This should cause the solenoid to pull in as normal and start cranking.

The solenoid pulls a fair bit of current so use a good size wire e.g. #16

Make contact with the spade connector first then touch the other end on Positive, that way less chance of an accidental short.