Cafe Sport or Ballabio?

NZ Rider

Hi folks,

new to the forum and have permission (kind of..) from the wife to purchase another bike.  I know this is probably a fairly common type of question from newbies but at the moment I'm keen on a Cafe Sport or a Ballabio and would be interested to hear some thoughts on each.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/sports/auction-704687347.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=701412047

I've done a bit of research, understand these things require a little more care and attention to keep in optimal running condition etc  BUT does the engine work to date on the Cafe Sport seem excessive?

There is also an 02 Scura in Wellington but at $12k NZ seems a tad expensive to me.  Plus it's out of my budget anyway.

Keen to hear your thoughts, flying up this weekend and hoping to view both.

I would stay away from the first one. leaks and new timing cover, broken fin? new camshaft? sound like it's had a hard life.

and the Scurra had the single plate clutch, I wouldn't touch that one either.

With the ballabio, you'll need to factor in suspension work. The marzochis were average, and the post 03 ones didn't even have compression adjstment. There is an internal sealed damper unit so revalving is challenging. If you're fussy about suspension, or want to enjoy new zealands magical roads, you really need to consider this! I'd suggest riding a v11 of similar age that's had the suspension sorted...so you really need to come to oz and ride my v11 then reciprocate the favour with me thashing, sorry, testing yours?....

I'm asuming you're familiar with jap import bikes? They all seem to come here with 15 k on the clock looking like 60 k on the bike.....Pitty, those ohlins would be nice...

Ps there is a place in nz that rents guzzis, from memory they only have the more sedate versions, but spending a few days on one might give you an idea if you like the package?

http://guzzigander.com/pricing.html

Thanks for the info Pdoz.

Had a look at both today, and a 2000 sport with only 1800km on the clock!

Cafe Sport has definately done some riding in it's time.  BUT, it still rides very well, and feels like a great hoon machine.  Definately not standard.

Ballabio is in good condition, but soft in the front end and power.  Where the cafe sport felt lite but solid at any angle, the Ballabio felt heavy and less solid.  After riding both I want to turn the Ballabio into something like the cafe sport, but I get the feeling what the guy is asking for the Ballabio won't allow that, and a bit unrealistic.

I forgot to check closely, but the Ballabio did have adjustment on both forks.  Both rebound or is one rebound and the other compression?  The way it felt in the front end compression was a tad soft.

Post 03 marzochis have rebound only, ie both caps do rebound. There is screw top spring preload adjustment, but the standard springs are too soft ( imho) , and unfortunately they are progressive tapered springs so hard to measure / replace. There was a thread on here about 5/6 months ago with internal pics. I've been uable to find any aftermarket springs dedicated for the later model forks, and unfortunately my suspension guru died half way through rebuilding mine so I have no idea what specs my wilburs springs are.

Nb these bikes have a steering dampener, so if the balabio felt sluggish it coud just be wound up too stiff? Then again, the earlier red frame sports had slightly sharper geometry, and every guzzi of this era is just a lttle different....

I think the speedo has been changed so would not believe the mileage on the café sport. My iti marked one failed at 20000 miles and was replaced with the same dur one (albeit MPH). Also the ohlin forks are slightly different from mine in that mine has the cap screws on both forks and a hollow axle. nothing wrong with the ones that are on (they are on rossa corsa,s etc.). Then again that's just me comparing a UK spec bike against that one, maybe other café sport owners could chime in. :thumbsup:

I can't directly compare but *think* I can come close, I have a Scura & a Ballabio.

The Scura steers lightning fast compared to the billy bob, apart from a minor effect from a change in position & me slipping the forks through I think the different feel is from the rear Ohlins which should be 10mm longer. This lifts the rear & completely changes the feel of the bike. If you ride both you should notice one is higher straight away, heck I can see the difference with both bikes side by side under the carport.

As for the Scura's clutch, yes there have been issues but my motor feels sweeter, she spins up easier (but to be fair there's been other minor mods).

As the ohlins forks are an easy rebuild and most suspension blokes could do the rear in their sleep I'd vote for the Cafe Sport with one proviso.

Put the $2.5k savings aside for possible future engine work. You could strip the motor & send the component parts to europe for work/assesment, I've looked into some work involving heads/pistons/cylinder/crank & of course rods. If you're happy to do assembly yourself you can do it at reasonable cost.

Of course if you want the Ballabio I have some brand new factory Ohlins here but given the $4k euro price they used to have I'd need at least $2.5K aud, which will put you in Scura territory.

Did I mention how much I love my Scura? Maybe he could cut you a deal on your next Italian love affair!

Post 03 marzochis have rebound only, ie both caps do rebound. There is screw top spring preload adjustment, but the standard springs are too soft ( imho) , and unfortunately they are progressive tapered springs so hard to measure / replace. There was a thread on here about 5/6 months ago with internal pics. I've been uable to find any aftermarket springs dedicated for the later model forks, and unfortunately my suspension guru died half way through rebuilding mine so I have no idea what specs my wilburs springs are.

Here's a thread on re-springing the post 03 'Zokes with Guzzitech progressives:  http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12946&do=findComment&comment=144447

Since Guzzitech sells the same springs for all of the V11 Marzocchi forks I would assume that you could use straight-rate springs from Sonic Springs or Traxxion Dynamics.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for all the advice.  I ended up north a second time, the Ballabio hadn't sold and the owner was more realistic with his selling price sooo it is now mine.  Long ride from Auckland to Christchurch over two days to get home and I absolutely love it!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ballabio hadn't sold and the owner was more realistic with his selling price sooo it is now mine.  Long ride from Auckland to Christchurch over two days to get home and I absolutely love it!

So post a pic, the CS is soon to arive in chch too... what you pay milage condition etc?

Thanks cola - what are you talking about, coming from Glasgow!

Will do as soon as I can dangerous.  I've got a couple but they are on another camera, every other time I go out I find roadworks about the same time it pours down.  Pisses me off as I've fully cleaned it a couple of times already!

CS coming down to Christchurch, great stuff!  Do tell, have you made a purchase or a friend of yours?  At the price Jase was asking it was very tempting...

Oh, $7400 good tidy condition and it was 19 000km on the clock.  Now it's past that and time for an oil change so I'm learning all about that with guzzi's.  Found a hydraulic fitting at work with a 27mm hex on the end.  Welded a handle to it today and it fits perfectly.