V11 Speedo Cable

simaster

So, simaster: just to get your thread back on topic:

You replaced the speedometer cable on your 2003 V11 Sport and found that there is a different cable for the LeMans/Nero Corsa/Rosso Corsa variants and the Ballabio/Sport?

You also have an early green Sport with Magni fairing? And Magni supplied you with an additional angle drive of 60˚ unlike Gio's 90˚?

I would like to know who made these drives. I've never seen one 90˚.

I have heard they are almost unobtainable from Moto Guzzi/Piaggio. And expensive even before that.

Maybe sp838 could get us some printed 3D!

Indeed. What I can also speculate (given that I have had no angle drive issues and others including yourself have), is that the 90 may hold-up better than the 60's ..? Magni may still be a source (there was a member who was just in touch for a fairing recently?) but would be $$ to ship fo NA.

I believe the speedo angle drives are made by Veglia.  Google Veglia angle drive and you will see both 60 and 90 degree versions.  I don't know if they will all work with our bikes though.

I believe the speedo angle drives are made by Veglia.  Google Veglia angle drive and you will see both 60 and 90 degree versions.  I don't know if they will all work with our bikes though.

Veglia makes both 60 and 90 degree drives. See pics:

Veglia90

veglia60

So, simaster: just to get your thread back on topic:

You replaced the speedometer cable on your 2003 V11 Sport and found that there is a different cable for the LeMans/Nero Corsa/Rosso Corsa variants and the Ballabio/Sport?

You also have an early green Sport with Magni fairing? And Magni supplied you with an additional angle drive of 60˚ unlike Gio's 90˚?

Yes. Kind of.  Let me explain...

I have a 2003 V11 Sport (Cafe). As some of you may notice, the "Green" in 2003 was different than 2000/2001.  I took the 2000 Green Bodywork and Magni fairing from my 2000 and installed it on my 2003 (story for another thread).

I brought the 2003 in for a service and got it back with a a dead tach and speedo (Story for another thread). Decided to deal with it myself...

I'm 99% sure the cable was the issue with the speedo.I ordered a new cable, but, as it turns out, I ordered a LeMans cable which was different from the Cafe. (who knew?)

I ordered the correct Cafe cable and come to find out the Speedo angle drive threads are stripped.  So, time to order a new angle drive...

In my research I found that Veglia has both a 60 and 90 degree angle drives (see pics above).

My stock angle drive is 60. I ordered a new 60 (expensive).

I'm wondering if I should have the 90 (because of the Magni)?

I would say go with the 90 if not too late - as you can see from my pics, and as you probably already know, the cable runs very close to the Magni bracket (I use a large zip tie loop as stress relief to avoid this) and so anything less than 90 would make that problem worse (with a Magni at least) ..?

Gio