Custom pistons from Pistal ?

Angelo.M

Hi all,

I've been looking for a set of high compression pistons here in the EU for some time and emailed Agostini , Omega and Pistal Racing .

Here is what Pistal answered yesterday .

Hi Angelo,

I will make some investigation from a friend dealing with Moto Guzzi since years, I did some racing piston for him few years ago, is the Moto Guzzi dealer in Parma, if I will make some pistons for your engine you will be the first to know.

Kind regards

Giorgio Casolari

Technical and Sales Manager

PISTAL RACING Srl

commerciale@pistalracing.it
       www.pistalracing.it

Da: Angelo Machairas
Inviato: giovedì 3 aprile 2014 18:04
A: Giorgio Casolari
Oggetto: Σχετ: R: Moto Guzzi V11 pistons ?

Dear Giorgio,
Thank you for your swift reply.
V11 was produced between 1998 and 2006 .
It is a two valve per cylinder engine of  92mm piston diameter ..
Although much loved by it's owners , some of them suffer from pre-ignition (knock,pinging) due to the mismatch of the stock piston top to the combustion chamber , leading to slow flame speed .
Even with high octane fuel , mine pinged near 4500-5000 rpm .
Adding more fuel or retarding the spark timing is not a desirable way to cure this phenomenon .
I believe that , if you would make a better shaped piston top , with a mild increase of compression ratio from the stock 9.3 : 1 , you would have a winner .
If you are interested ,  when I open the motor , I will try to send you a piston , a rubber mold of the combustion chamber and whatever measurements of interest I can take from it.
I will contact you first .

Best regards
Angelo

My take on the matter is , we can have a hand at determining the specs for the end product .

I , for one , would like long (as the OEM) skirts  and as much as possible extended squish band .

Others , more knowledgeable than me , might suggest some other desirable characteristics .

Cheers

• Like 1

Hi all,

I've been looking for a set of high compression pistons here in the EU for some time and emailed Agostini , Omega and Pistal Racing .

Here is what Pistal answered yesterday .

Hi Angelo,

I will make some investigation from a friend dealing with Moto Guzzi since years, I did some racing piston for him few years ago, is the Moto Guzzi dealer in Parma, if I will make some pistons for your engine you will be the first to know.

Kind regards

Giorgio Casolari

Technical and Sales Manager

PISTAL RACING Srl

commerciale@pistalracing.it

www.pistalracing.it

Da: Angelo Machairas

Inviato: giovedì 3 aprile 2014 18:04

A: Giorgio Casolari

Oggetto: Σχετ: R: Moto Guzzi V11 pistons ?

Dear Giorgio,

Thank you for your swift reply.

V11 was produced between 1998 and 2006 .

It is a two valve per cylinder engine of  92mm piston diameter ..

Although much loved by it's owners , some of them suffer from pre-ignition (knock,pinging) due to the mismatch of the stock piston top to the combustion chamber , leading to slow flame speed .

Even with high octane fuel , mine pinged near 4500-5000 rpm .

Adding more fuel or retarding the spark timing is not a desirable way to cure this phenomenon .

I believe that , if you would make a better shaped piston top , with a mild increase of compression ratio from the stock 9.3 : 1 , you would have a winner .

If you are interested ,  when I open the motor , I will try to send you a piston , a rubber mold of the combustion chamber and whatever measurements of interest I can take from it.

I will contact you first .

Best regards

Angelo

My take on the matter is , we can have a hand at determining the specs for the end product .

I , for one , would like long (as the OEM) skirts  and as much as possible extended squish band .

Others , more knowledgeable than me , might suggest some other desirable characteristics .

Cheers

You might want to see if Mike Rich is going to do another run of his pistons, since he already went to the work of designing them to correctly match up w/ the V11 combustion chamber to eliminate pinging...