Leaking output shaft seal

Bjorn

My question back to you Bjorn is " If you could not pull the cover, how would you get it out"?

anyway    thats what old busted screwdrivers are for.  Heat, grind, bend till you get it in the shape you need for the project at hand.

And be very carefull prying it out----don't want to scratch or gouge the shaft :huh2: .  It is dooable tho

If i could not remove the cover, probably using a hook, old screwdrivers or some parkers. But I have run into some seals where the steel reinforcement ring (usually present in oil seals) remained in the housing, only prying out the plastic bits.....

Dont know yet how this particularly seal is build up and if its stuck as a m*otherf*cker or just falls out. But im still leaning towards ''removing the cover'' if that is possible :nerd:.

For tracing the leak, i used talcum (baby) powder. Take it out for a medium long spin and check it regularly!

Just FYI, this is what you will find if you pull the cover :grin: .

Just make sure your mating surfaces are absolutely spotless upon 

reassembly. Please use a torque wrench also. lol . Some Italian castings 

aren't as good as others,, and if you pull the threads on one of the bolts  :ninja: ....

Well I'm glad your close to Teo   lol

I'm sure you will be fine. Just take your time and do it like you know its supposed to be done.

I don't know. That plate is off a spare tranny I have.

I would be careful "prying" on it. the bonding/gasket seal will need to be 

"broken", then things should give way quickly. Almost like giving content

pressure,then more, then more. If you "wack" it with a hammer you might 

snap a piece off and that would suck. good luck

When I got my 02 Lemans the trans oil was leaking onto the mid-pipe and smoking.  At first I though it was the seals, then I decided to change all the fluid on the bike and drain the shaft/trans oil and refill it to the proper height and it is dry ever since.  I think the previous owner or from Guzzi Factory overfill  the shaft oil and I think the excess will drain from overflow valve?  It was dripping onto the mid-crossovers and burning (smoking), my brother thought my bike was on fire :)    Anyway, drain the old oil and fill with new to correct level and hope that's the problem.

When I got my 02 Lemans the trans oil was leaking onto the mid-pipe and smoking.  At first I though it was the seals, then I decided to change all the fluid on the bike and drain the shaft/trans oil and refill it to the proper height and it is dry ever since.  I think the previous owner or from Guzzi Factory overfill  the shaft oil and I think the excess will drain from overflow valve?  It was dripping onto the mid-crossovers and burning (smoking), my brother thought my bike was on fire :)    Anyway, drain the old oil and fill with new to correct level and hope that's the problem.

speaking for my situation: the oil level is the correct. By cleaning the gearbox and using talcum powder im 100% positive its the output shaft seal. Mine was not ''burning'' but i did found cooked oil stains on the collector similiar to your findings.

as footnote on fluid, i run mine at like 2.5L. I think the book calls for 2.8L. Or with the bike level I can just see a gap in the window. Instead of being completely covered. 

I sometimes move at a pretty good clip and if I'm a few CC's short it doesn't blow out the overflow.

Most "normal" riding may not require these actions :ninja:

Check that the breather on top of the gearbox is not blocked, it can cause the gearbox to pressurize as it heats up.

• Like 1

I sometimes move at a pretty good clip  . . .

Sheesh . . . Understatement of the Year! :race:

FWIW, the gearbox capacity is 850 ml or 0,850 liter. Not sure about that 2.8 l thing. :whistle: