V11 Speedo & Tach Illumination Bulbs?

jwh20

The illuminator bulb in my tach is burned out.  Is this a standard bulb of some sort?  It has some tiny numbers on it but I can't read them.  The V11 parts manual just says "12v-3w".

It is a standard 3w bulb you can match up at the auto parts store. Be sure the socket is keeping a good ground - they are known to wiggle loose.

EDIT: this one is stamped: "OSRAM SK 12V 3W 128"

Well you know the story...  :)

I started taking the instrument cluster apart decided to clean the whole thing up.  So first of all 2 or the 3 screws that hold the black cover on would just spin.  So I took the back off and the brass inserts were just spinning.  So I fixed that.  The black cover had messed up paint so I decided to sand and repaint it.  The bulb holder for the speedo came apart rather than come out of the speedo hole and the pieces went all over.  So I crawled around the garage floor looking for the little spring.  Fixed that.  So while the paint was drying and the epoxy on the brass inserts was curing I took the rest of the fairing panels off and cleaned the years of crud that builds up out.

Turned out to be a great day!  I was having so much fun my wife came out and said "it's 8:30, are you going to eat dinner?"  You know you're having fun when you forget to eat dinner!!

Anyway, all those little things are taken care of.  But I still need a couple of bulbs for the speedo and tach.  I figure I might as well replace both while the thing is all apart.  I'll see if I can match them up over at AutoZone as they have about a million little bulbs and lamps.

Here's a picture of the fix for 2 of the 3 plastic hubs that hold the instrument faceplate on.  The plastic was just cracked for no apparent reason.  So the brass inserts were just spinning freely.  For some reason the 3rd one is just fine.  Must be something wrong with it!!  The upper-right one looked like it exploded.

I pulled the brass inserts out and put some 5 minute epoxy in there with a toothpick.  Then I put the inserts back in and let it cure.

guzzi_instrument_fix.jpg