Ignition key won't turn

Lawson

Bear with me here... By no means is this my first bike, but I just inherited it and the two identical keys that actually fit the ignition won't actually turn. My dad had it hooked up to a battery tender so I'm not sure if something needs to be reconnected below the seat or if there's some secret moto guzzi handshake I need to do with the thing to get the key to turn so I can fire it up. My dad just passed and I have no clue why the guzzi key won't turn but I need to circulate gas in this plus a few others until I wade through probate and all the other bs I couldn't care less about but I know he'll haunt me if I don't maintain his bikes so any/all help would be greatly appreciated.

Does the key turn in any of the other locks on the bike?  These should all be keyed alike from the factory so unless the ignition lock has been changed you should try it in the gas cap, the helmet lock, or the seat release lock.

Also, is the steering lock engaged?  On many bikes the ignition can be difficult to turn if there is pressure on the steering lock.  Try turning the handlebars just a bit as you try the key.

I've noted that on my V11 LeMans the key will not turn if it's not all the way down and sometimes I need to jiggle it up/down just a bit to get it to turn, but the turning effort is low.  

It's possible some crud or corrosion got in there especially if it's been sitting for a while.  I've had good luck flushing it out with some carb cleaner that evaporates quickly and then following up with some graphite-based lock lube.  Also if one of the pins is stuck, you can often free it up by gently tapping the lock with a plastic mallet.

• Like 1

Does the key turn in any of the other locks on the bike?  These should all be keyed alike from the factory so unless the ignition lock has been changed you should try it in the gas cap, the helmet lock, or the seat release lock.

Also, is the steering lock engaged?  On many bikes the ignition can be difficult to turn if there is pressure on the steering lock.  Try turning the handlebars just a bit as you try the key.

I've noted that on my V11 LeMans the key will not turn if it's not all the way down and sometimes I need to jiggle it up/down just a bit to get it to turn, but the turning effort is low.  

It's possible some crud or corrosion got in there especially if it's been sitting for a while.  I've had good luck flushing it out with some carb cleaner that evaporates quickly and then following up with some graphite-based lock lube.  Also if one of the pins is stuck, you can often free it up by gently tapping the lock with a plastic mallet.

Do all the factory keys have an "i" logo on them? If so, I have both.

I was wondering about whether or not the handlebars needed to be turned. I'm heading over there in a bit and will try turning the key while straightening the bars out. Both keys have no problem opening the gas tank and since (to our knowledge) he only went on one ride since his diagnosis (which appears to have been the Vstrom) I'd imagine getting the bike running is going to be pretty important, albeit I don't see him forgetting to at least circulate the gas, but either way, I was planning on scattering his ashes on rides to his favorite places using each of the bikes. Your help is greatly appreciated.

I wanted to shoot his ashes out of a canon, Hunter S. Thompson style, but it appears there "may be" a lot of red tape to get that one done.

Do all the factory keys have an "i" logo on them? If so, I have both.

I was wondering about whether or not the handlebars needed to be turned. I'm heading over there in a bit and will try turning the key while straightening the bars out. Both keys have no problem opening the gas tank and since (to our knowledge) he only went on one ride since his diagnosis (which appears to have been the Vstrom) I'd imagine getting the bike running is going to be pretty important, albeit I don't see him forgetting to at least circulate the gas, but either way, I was planning on scattering his ashes on rides to his favorite places using each of the bikes. Your help is greatly appreciated.

I wanted to shoot his ashes out of a canon, Hunter S. Thompson style, but it appears there "may be" a lot of red tape to get that one done.

My recently acquired 2002 V11 LeMans came with two keys, one which is still attached to the plastic frame both have a (i) logo on them.  So I'd say you have the original keys.  I'm pretty sure the tank lock is an actual lock that should be keyed the same as the ignition.

if the keys work in the gas cap i suspect they're the correct for the ign. also. have you tried them in the seat lock? its on right side of bike a wee bit higher & in front of the right footpeg. the only advise i can give is not to *force* the key, but you already knew that.

i didn't know your father, but i know i'd like my ashes shot out of a cannon, i think he's probably smiling at the prospect.

i wish i had a larger cannon, i'd help you out. screw the red tape.

steve

Bear with me here... By no means is this my first bike, but I just inherited it and the two identical keys that actually fit the ignition won't actually turn. My dad had it hooked up to a battery tender so I'm not sure if something needs to be reconnected below the seat or if there's some secret moto guzzi handshake I need to do with the thing to get the key to turn so I can fire it up. My dad just passed and I have no clue why the guzzi key won't turn but I need to circulate gas in this plus a few others until I wade through probate and all the other bs I couldn't care less about but I know he'll haunt me if I don't maintain his bikes so any/all help would be greatly appreciated.

You need to push in slightly & turn, iirc. Just inserting the key & twisting doesn't do the trick.

So, Lawson, what was the solution?

straightening the bars and jiggling while turning. It's a tight fit and I had to get it out of it's spot and all better. Thanks to all for the input on this and the high idle lever issue.

It may have been seized up due to sitting for so long.  If it continues to be balky, I really like this stuff:

Bike_Aid_Film_Lubricant__dri-slide__zoom

Many motorcycle and bike shops have this stuff.  It's the best stuff for lubing throttle, brake, and clutch (if not hydraulic) cables as well as any sort of lock.  The binder fluid evaporates leaving dry graphite behind.  So it doesn't cause dirt and grit to collect in your locks.