Sad day - saying goodbye to the LeMans

dale-j

Due to several months of medical issues and some apparently permanent solutions (blood thinners) that will make riding exceedingly risky, I've reluctantly given up riding.  I hope for the short term, and that there will be a solution sooner than later.

In the interim, it has made me frustrated to keep looking at my beauty LeMans in the garage and the sunny weather begging for a ride, and so I recently posted an ad to sell the bike.

It has sold - quickly and with more interest than I expected, which is a bittersweet event for me.  I'm pleased to report that the purchaser of the bike is well qualified to take good care of her, arriving on a very nicely kept 1982 R100RS BMW airhead that he purchased new in 1982 and had nearly 200,000 km of riding on the clock.   The Guzzi is IMO the perfect upgrade in style, handling, power and braking - and none of the foibles related to a transverse engine, an aircooled pushrod engine, dry automotive style clutch or shaft final drive will surprise him.  The improvement in cornering clearance from the BMW might though :)

My sincere thanks to those here who have so generously assisted in helping me get the bike sorted and keep it running beautifully over the past few years, especially Kiwi Roy who went so far as to show up at my house on a Saturday with multimeter in hand and walk me through the process for TPS calibration on the V11.

My brother in law is keeping his red frame V11 Sport - so not all is lost for me, and I hope that Gary Z (her new owner) will pop in and become a new member here so that you'll all know the bike remains in good hands.  If I can figure it out I'll get him to post up his username here.

I'll still pop in from time to time, and if there's anything that I've tackled that others can benefit from I'd love to assist.

Steve6.jpg8.jpg

Condolences dale, can see what you're letting go. I dread the day I have to make a similar call.

Best of luck to the new owner - may he be worthy!

traded my V11 Lemans, dog couldn't ride in it.. even trade for a 2003 Miata w/66k needs tires and timing belt service.

First car I've owned in 24 years. a sports car might be just what you need?

IMG_0425_zps03bf2410.jpg

Everyone should have once at least once in their life. Cheap thrills and some of the best to be had on 4 wheels! My wife still has hers :-)

Well, I was on the other side of this discussion. Meaning that I bought my LeMans from a guy, about 70 years old (7 older than me), who had been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease. He had consigned the bike to a local shop to sell, but I met him when I went to get the bike and do the paperwork. He drove me to the tag office so I could get legal to ride the bike home. Nice fellow, and a real motorcyclist. He was also selling a Duc Monster, and he had 8 Harleys at home. But I could see riding in the truck with him that riding a bike would be an issue. He already had developed tremors in his left hand that would have affected his ability to ride.

I felt bad for him, but also aware that I may be next. So I'm enjoying the LeMans all I can in the meantime. :thumbsup:

Thanks guys for the kind words. 

Sports Car, not exactly Foto.  I like aircooled engines with pushrods (recognize a theme?), and taking the time I would have spent riding this summer I might actually finish a 20 year project (oops, 24 years this year actually) to get a 1963 (1192cc 34bhp) Volkswagen Beetle back on the road.   Old and slow, just like I'm getting - at least that's what it feels like at the moment.

I do help my father out occasionally ;)'  when he needs a sedan, by trading him the 550i you see in the background of one of the pics up there for his 335is turbo cabriolet.   I love the power-brakes-handling-back seat, but honestly the Miata is a more fun car to drive.  That one looks really clean, too.  I love those things, the feedback is probably the closest thing (short of a Lotus) to a motorcycle that you'll find on four wheels.

Bello, the appalling thing here is that this one happens to be the opposite....   I'm 43, and the guy who bought my bike purchased it as a retirement present for himself -  and he's in better health that I am.  Geez, doesn't look any older either, although I suspect if he grew out his beard too it might have more 'blond' highlights than I do ;)' 

Someday I hope to have it turned around and get back on a bike, though.  Someday...  even if it doesn't, the plan is that when my two daughters are moved out and independent, some risks will be more tolerable than they are today.  Could be 12 or 15 years, but holding the hope (and the get out of jail 'bike' card) in my pocket will be enough to keep me for now.

My guess: '67, Reseda-green.

Hubert

Edit:

I've seen you mentioned the year already, 63. So that's one year older than mine, a 64 Standard in Seeblau :)

Hubert

• 2 weeks later...

That is sweet! The Perfect Folks-vaagen color! (what do they call that color?)

L380 (Turkis).  Turquoise is the direct translation, but more mossy/minty green than Turquoise.

Hubert, with a Standard you'll see a lot more of your paint inside, too.   Standards are pretty rare in Canada but very cool with the smaller headliner etc.