Mechanic Advice

realjake98

I recently acquired a 2002 Lemans Tenni with 900 Miles. I am located in Vancouver, Canada and am looking for a good mechanic to help me keep the bike fully sorted. Anyone have any recommendations?

You could not become this really good mechanic you speak of? :luigi:

These bikes are very approachable. And they love you back! :wub:

Docc,

Thank you for the encouragement. I definitely would like to learn. However, I would like to ensure I have an experienced mechanic go over the bike to highlight any issues, etc. Any ideas about how I would go about sourcing a local person who knows the foibles and intricacies of the bike?

Yeah, that's about how far I was from my first dealer.

They were ok, but that 200 km was awkward.

Then came V11LeMans.com  :thumbsup:

i think there's a few members in your area, i'm sure you'll hear from someone.

i notice you have a commando, i suspect you're fairly adept with tools, as i  had an 850 commando for many years.

enjoy the guzzi, steve

ya know on further thought i think docc's advice on moto international is a good one. they are experts on anything guzzi.

if you want someone to go over it & check it out i'd also recommend them as you're (relatively) close.  i'm about 125 miles south of them, but the traffic from olympia north is a dealbreaker for me. seattle traffic is the shits.

if it was me (and it's not) if the bike runs good, i'd change all the rubber parts, fuel lines, throttle body rubbers, for sure the breather hose, (they're all 12 yrs old regardless of the mileage) fluids & filters adjust the valves, (this is simplicity itself) i've just done all this on my '02.

docc also has a thread  *while the tank is off*, easy to find.

OK, just read the "Tank off maintenance Checklist". I am a little nervous at trying to do all of that on the bike. I think I am capable, but really was hoping to find a local Moto Guzzi expert to do a once over of the bike to ensure all is well before I start fiddling with it. I agree with Stefano that all fluids, rubber, etc. should be replaced. The bike runs quite well. It was kept in a dry heated garage for it's entire life to now. It has some of the niggles that have been identified on the forums here:

-Loud clutch rattle when in neutral with the clutch engaged (lever out)

-Blistery black paint on the engine casing (is this fixable?)

-Mild tank suck

As well, the windscreen and mirrors vibrate more than I have experienced on other bikes. Is this normal? Perhaps I need a tune-up or ?

A proper tune-up (TPS adjustment, throttle body balance, valve adjustment, and fresh spark plugs along with correct idle setting) often quells those vibrations. I can't imagine it's more vibratory than your Commando (Although there is no Guzzi 'Isoelastism').

You should not feel compelled to do everything on the checklist, but maybe a little at time. You might have the tank off every year or so for filters and can give it a little going over each time.

It probably would be good to have a trained tech go over the bike once, make the initial settings (like zeroing the CO in the ECU) and give you some confidence to go on. No one is going to take the time and care to go over her like a dedicated owner willing to take all the time necessary, wade through all the forum posts, and repeat as necessary to get to the magic. :wub: 

But that is exactly what makes these bikes so engaging and delightful (and sometimes frustrating :angry2: ).

AT least you have found The Number One World-Wide Support Group for this particular affliction! :mg:

-Loud clutch rattle when in neutral with the clutch engaged (lever out)

-Blistery black paint on the engine casing (is this fixable?)

I had the same concern about my 2002 V11 but I'm told here that it's entirely normal.  All of my previous bikes have been Japanese wet-clutch models so it was very disconcerting to hear the clutch on the V11.  But other than the rattle, it works perfectly.

My engine case is not peeling even though I understand this is typical in 2002's.  But my rear drive case is about 1/3 peeled off.  I've heard that touch-up or repainting with Harley-Davidson brand "Crinkle" paint is a possibility.  But I've not tried it yet.