engine not starting

Bjorn

Man im sort of running low on patience with my italian. Here is the latest gremlin:

@work wanting to ride home for the weekend, motorcycle doesnt want to start. It did start but after stalling (my mistake) i cant get it running again.

Bike in neutral, switch on ign can hear the fuel pump but do not hear the starter solenoid when i press the button. Things i checked/tried:

- Checked the kill switch, ok.

- Lifted the sidestand and checked the switch and connector, no abnormalties.

- checked all fuses, ok.

- removed the clutch switch to inspect visually, no abnormalties.

I left it at work, hoping i can repair it tomorrow. Any advise?????

Wiggle them bars and then try again. If it works then tank off when you get home and address those bullet connectors that are held together with nothing more than hope and air. Hope it fires up for you. Cheers.

Most likely culprits are the bullet connectors, as noted (turn the bars all the way through their arc back and forth while holding down the starter button) and, secondly, the front two relays. You can swap them and try again, or swap them for the two of the others (the middle one has the least stress), or swap in your "spare relays" assuming all of these have 5 pins to function in the first (starter) position.

Good advise guys! I was thinking this over @ home with some info from this forum. And the things you guys address are on my list too! this makes me feel a bit more confident (as i really dont like electronics). I used docc's electrical flow chart in combination with the wire diagram to get my head around this.

Here is what I got:

-hand drawn so maybe hard to read

- Green = possible OK

- Purple = possible NOK/fail

- yellow= unknown/uncertain.

starter%2520failure%2520flowchart.jpg

since i can hear the fuel pump, the kill switch must supply juice to both the ECU and INJECTION relays. The bike did start before so suspecting a bad connection somewhere. Sidestand switch, sidestand relay and neutral switch cant all be bad because of the power towards the KILL-ECU-INJECTION.

wish me luck :thumbsup:

That is exactly how that flow chart evolved - to narrow down the likely culprits quickly. It is the next best thing to  waking up in the morning, looking in the mirror, and finding out you are Kiwi_Roy. B)

Luck, then! :thumbsup:  And after : beer! :bier: :bier:

Good advise guys! I was thinking this over @ home with some info from this forum. And the things you guys address are on my list too! this makes me feel a bit more confident (as i really dont like electronics). I used docc's electrical flow chart  in combination with the wire diagram to get my head around this.

Here is what I got:

-hand drawn so maybe hard to read

- Green = possible OK

- Purple = possible NOK/fail

- yellow= unknown/uncertain.

starter%2520failure%2520flowchart.jpg

since i can hear the fuel pump, the kill switch must supply juice to both the ECU and INJECTION relays. The bike did start before so suspecting a bad connection somewhere. Sidestand switch, sidestand relay and neutral switch cant all be bad because of the power towards the KILL-ECU-INJECTION.

wish me luck :thumbsup:

Dude, do you want a job?  I Work with people who claim to be engineers who are clueless when it comes to troubleshooting!  You've put them to SHAME!!   :)

SimpleWiring_zpsb4c54183.jpg

The Pump is running so the juice is getting as far as the ECU

Next in line are Start Button, Clutch Switch, Start relay, Bullet connectors as others have pointed out. (shown as -->>--  --

Fuse 5 may be gone if you can hear the relay click.

Pull the relay and stuff a short wire into the socket 30 - 87, it should crank, if not try a jumper between the solenoid trigger terminal and the large hot one.

There's no need to be stranded on a V11 Sport because it won't crank, they are easy to push start.

Good news on this front, i replaced the bullet connectors an it fired right up. Could not find any other abnormalties so it will have to do for now. Thanks again for all the good advise here!