Rear spring preload

lemppari

Seems I have to add rear spring preload quite substantially now that  most of my riding will be two up and with bags and all. Any rough suggestions as to how many collar revolutions? Or if I'm to measure SAG, where do I get the total movement to compare SAG by?

I thought I could find that specification on rear suspension travel, but I don't see it in the sales brochure, Owner's Manual, or Workshop Manual. :huh2:

The front is 120mm. I have an internet reference that says 128mm, but I just don't see it anywhere in the official literature.

The Workshop manual lists the free length of the spring at 165mm to be preloaded from 8mm -14mm. That doesn't seem like much of a range. Before I switched to the Öhlins, I set my Sachs-Boge spring to 18mm preload which is over-compressed and beyond the recommendation.

You are more likely better with the correct spring for your needs!

lemppari,

Check this out:

it will give a clear explanation how to go about setting your suspension sag, 

Conventional wisdom depending on the bike and who you are speaking to suggests your sag should be around 25mm to 45mm or if you know your suspension travel around 30% to 40% of the maximum travel available. These are approximate figures and are definitely not specific to your bike.

The main thing to remember is to do you final sag setting with both you and your pillion + your luggage on the bike so that the sag represents   the true riding conditions.

When you go solo you will need a readjust to suit your much lighter weight.

Taking the time to do this correctly and then making rebound and compression adjustments to suit if this applies to your suspension will be well worth the effort.

Keep in mind that if your suspension has already done high mileage then it may be appropriate to have the forks serviced and the rear shock/s rebuilt or replaced if this is not able to be done on your units.

Effective damping is critical to good suspension performance which is more likely to save your life and make your journey safe than spending a fortune on engine performance.

Mark

I once noted from this forum that the Öhlins rear shock would have 10 mm longer stroke than Sachs. The Öhlins stroke is 64 mm, so does the Sachs have 54 mm (assuming the Rosso Mandello in question here does not have White Power)?

From V11sport.de: "the swing ratio is 2:1" => One millimeter more length at the rear shock means two millimeters more rear height. I have a hydraulic spring pre-load adjuster for the rear shock and with the settings I have today, I can add 9 mm "rear height". I use it all when riding with two persons. I would use more if possible (I have not measured the riding height with two persons). So I guess I would start with ca. 15 mm more spring preload for two persons and full bags.

I need to up the preload on the spring quite a bit (something to do with pie consumption perhaps). The Hagon shock has the collars under the air box. Major effort will be required to get the adjustment right. Not relishing the prospect!