Ballabio Speedo cable again..

Denis

Hi,

I have used the search function for the notorious speedo cable issues, but I can't find an answer to whats happening with my bike.

I bought the bike a week ago, and the speedo was working , including the odometer ( as this is what I use for a fuel gauge).

A few days after i had the bike the speedo  cable broke at the transmission end. I put this down to Murphy's Law - me just buying the bike , and ordered a new cable from Gutsibits.

Cable arrives very promptly, Gutsibits told me it was the correct version and it matches the one I took off.

fitted new cable to the bike, test ride round the block - everything working fine.

Cable broke again after 50 miles - this time at the speedometer end ( the 90 degree bend area).

Gutsibits have been good and asked to return the 50 mile old cable and they will order me a new cable in exchange (thanks guys).

The speedo works fine, I have put the original broken cable back up into the speedometer and turned the cable by hand. I even fixed it to a drill and it all works fine.

Any advice? 

I have attached the original speedo cable and connected an electric drill to the cable.

The speedo works, but as I don't have a reversible drive it just winds the clock backwards.

I was concerned that the speedo may have not been working.

The cable always broke at speed , it didn't break unless I was travelling at more than 80 mph ( on closed roads) 

It'y my understanding that the biggest issue affecting the longevity of the speedo cable is routing.  The cable is quite sensitive to how sharply it's bent and if it's bent beyond its design limits, it will break.

Check the path of the cable and try to make sure it bends gently and smoothly all along its path.  Make sure it's not going over an edge or being pressed on by other cable or part.

Thanks guys,

Borrowed a reversible drill froma friend.

The speedo will move freely up to 40mph - thats the fastest the drill would speed it up to.

I think I have just been unlucly with the two cables.

I originally took great care with the routing , following the original layout.

For the replacement I will pack some grease around the 90 degree bend and 60 degree bend.

Thanks guys,

Borrowed a reversible drill froma friend.

The speedo will move freely up to 40mph - thats the fastest the drill would speed it up to.

I think I have just been unlucly with the two cables.

I originally took great care with the routing , following the original layout.

For the replacement I will pack some grease around the 90 degree bend and 60 degree bend.

Note that the original routing may not be correct.  Again, check for gentle curvature as well as no places where it's bent around an edge.

• Like 1

Maybe even a lighter lubricant. I over-greased an early cable (bevel drive Veglia) and the internal pressure and resistance caused trouble.

• Like 1

Over here we can buy a cable repair kit, just a long inner cable that you cut to length.

Mine broke again a few thousand miles later, that was enough for me so I changed the clocks to a pair of Speedhut.

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18588&hl=speedo

• Like 1

Thanks Kiwi roy.

I saw your thread on the speedhut gauges, I may go down this route if the cable just keeps breaking.

I have some Shimano grease that was formulated for the gear contro cables on the bicycle Sti levers that always worked well on mountain bikes.

I will try and grease the inner cable as much as possible to help prevent the passage near the 90 / 60 degree bends.

it s more of a silicone type grease that is quite viscose , time will tell..