battery light

rossi46

Hi guys, so following on from my oil leak thread , bike starts and runs great but the last few times that I've started the bike the battery light stays on for maybe 5-10 seconds. I had the battery off the bike for a few weeks, put the bike back together and ran it in the garage to see to all was ok, next day started the bike light stays on for 5-10 seconds, rode a mile to gas station-light not on when idling or after gassing up, went for an hour's ride, no probs, measured 13.8v @3000rpm when home.went to work this morning battery light stays on again, rides slowly to gas station no light after setting off, lights and dash all ok-rode 15mls to work bike starts like normal runs fine, regulator cool to touch when home and measured 12.8v engine off when I got home, the light always used to go out as soon as the engine fires up i've only noticed this recently- I will check connections and earths etc, any help would be great! just a thought does the regulator body need to touch bare metal? should I scrape off the powder coat where its bolted to frame? thanks :huh2:  sorry if its a bit long winded!

Yes, make sure the regulator case (body) is grounded directly to the engine and clear any paint from the connection surfaces.

With such a big stack of terminals fastened to the battery, it is common to drop one on re-installation. Look for a loose, unattached loop connecter near the battery.

just a thought does the regulator body need to touch bare metal? should I scrape off the powder coat where its bolted to frame

this! thanks guys

That! And a ground strap to bare metal on the timing cover.

While you are in the mood make sure the main battery ground is nice and tight, several bikes I know of have smoked the main loom because this became loose and starter current found it's way back through the small wire from regulator to negative terminal. I hesitate to remove this wire in case it creates a different problem.