Oil leak

Quercus

Hello there,

I'm new to this forum & new to Guzzis in general. I acquired a beautiful V11 of 02 vintage earlier this year & absolutely love it.

Unfortunately after a 550 mile day in the saddle returning from a trip to the South of France the bike sprang a leak.

Not just a mild weep but a proper leak. Such was the amount being leaked that the machine is now un rideable as oil has entirely covered the rear tyre.

The thing is all the gaskets are fine. A steady flow appears to emanate from around one of the 6mm hex bolts holding the timing chest cover to the rest of the motor.

Advice thus far has suggested fitting a washer behind the bolt as per workshop manual. Well it has been fine without a washer in our short 2000 mile time together so why would that make a difference?

I have tried this & it has had zero influence on the leak.

Is it possible that there is a casting issue? Is this a known issue & is it costly?

Alternatively is there another answer?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Quercus, thanks for checking in. You're in the right place to sort your Sport!

First order of business is to clean up the mess and apply an even coat of spray-on foot powder. Go for a short ride and look for the discoloration from the oil leak. Thar she blows!

There are three or four common places up there to address, so lets see if we can narrow it down from the beginning.

(Maybe post a wee pic of the wet spot once it fouls the powder).

As long as it doesn't come out, "?!#@$in' docc!" The forum police here won't allow overt sarcasm until your 5th post . . . B)

Looks like the leak wouldn't be the typical crank sensor O-ring, or the crankcase vent hose under the frame behind the headstock. So much for the easy stuff!

Definitely get a good look above the front subframe connection to be sure there is no way the oil is dropping down there from above (ie: oil cooler line).

Otherwise, I do recall a member who had a cracked timing chest. Let me see if a proper application of Remembery Fluid will help me find that thread . . .

Maybe worth using a thread sealer on the bolt and see if it makes any difference.

Tonight, I'll trying searching out the s]case repair thread. It wasn't pretty, but it worked for the guy without removing/repairing/replacing the timing cover. Seems like he cleaned it up and used JB Weld, a metal epoxy common in the US.

Hi Docc

Upon closer inspection the problem appears worse than I thought. It would appear that there is a crack running the length of the timing chest cover bit that bolts to the frame down to the bolt.

Is this JB weld able? I have spoken to one of the leading MG parts suppliers & he reckons they don't even have any in Italy. Although he did quote me the price of a replacement!

Alternatively I guess it would make more sense to remove the offending item & get it pro welded?

Gotta say I'm more than a little disappointed. It could at least have done the decent thing & waited to the end of the riding season tsk. image.jpgimage.jpg

At least you've got your 5 posts in and the overt sarcasm can begin in earnest! :grin:

Somehow, I can't get your photos to render (if that's the correct cyber-term) so can't see the crack. If it's not structural, and it's accessible, I would be tempted to clean it up and try the JBWeld. It's certainly not an elegant solution, while removing the chest cover and having a TIG magician button it might b the best world.

My first thought would be to get it to Bjorn's little brother across the channel . . . B)

I'm gonna look for that repair thread. Otherwise, keep us posted on the progress.

czakky recently had his timing cover off and has a thread worth reading.

And dawdish found a messed up gasket, but also shows some good info on this thread: "Oil Leak" started in 2007 by richard100t and goes through May 2014.

svjj fixed his with JB Weld, but it's still not the thread I'm looking for . . .