Pawl Arm Boss, How Best to Resize?

JBBenson

I have searched a bit, haven't found an answer, thus this new thread:

I have opened up my 2000 V11 to look at the pawl spring and boss, just to see how hard it is to do, and to check the pawl spring and boss size.

Crap, I have the large 16mm boss.

Anyone here have a good method to grind it down? I would guess that keeping it smooth is pretty important, as the spring needs to slide a little as it compresses.

Dremel? By hand? Take it to a machine shop? How do you keep it even as you reduce the profile 1mm? Is keeping the boss perfectly round even that important? 

Any advice appreciated.....

I ended up grinding it down with a Dremel and aluminum oxide stone. A little hand filing to clean up the edges and shoulder of the boss too. I also used the Dremel polishing pads to get it nice and smooth. I ended up just shy of 15mm in diameter.

I also reshaped the spot where the small pawl spring hook catches the edge of the shift linkage. The edge was pretty sharp so I rounded it off and made it smooth.

I swapped out the original for a larger spring, although the one that was in there was the same size. Oh well.

No guarantees that the spring won't break, but I feel better having done what I could to prevent it.

www.servicemotoguzzi.com: GEAR CHANGE PAWL SPRING

Subject: broken gear change pawl spring, Model: V11
Problem: broken gear change pawl spring

Solution:
In case of breakage of the pawl spring in vehicles with frame numbers before KT111435 - KS112350, the pawl should be changed (when asking for the spare part, you automatically receive the pawl updated version). The change consists in the reduction of the diameter on which the spring rests from 16 mm to 15 mm.

There is plenty of info on the Forum, including photos, e.g. here, boss filed down with hand file. > http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16872