Brooks Leather Grips

Jet

Purchased these grips in Honey from Brooks England, at a local bicycle shop in Calgary. I think it gives the bike some excellent contrast, much like the red pork chops. The stock strip adhesive that comes with it is ok, however after riding a bit I could feel they wouldn't last so I did my best removing it with some MEK and sourced out a 1300L Cement from 3M.....(Used on Aircraft). Did two Coats on both surfaces, and that sure made the difference. It was easy to get the perfect wrap using the little perforations as a guideline.

Sooooooo I liked it so much I had my seat wrapped in the same stuff! I purchased 3 more boxes sent them off to a fella that knows his stuff and he returned with this baby just a few days later. (Last week). The light is different so there is a different tone in the colour but I can assure you, it looks unreal!

rsz_1img_3863.jpg

rsz_11img_2160.jpg

• Like 1

Unfortunately I have to wait for the fella who did it to get back from Vacation.....JAN 5!!!! I wanna break into his shop now and get it on the bike! So I will wait patiently like a 6 year old on christmas day wanting to open his gifts..

Unfortunately I have to wait for the fella who did it to get back from Vacation.....JAN 5!!!! I wanna break into his shop now and get it on the bike! So I will wait patiently like a 6 year old on christmas day wanting to open his gifts..

:xmas: Maybe Santa will bring you a key to his shop. I especially like the seat and am looking forward to seeing it on the bike - but not as much as you are.  :grin:

They look great especially the seat  but what would the grips be like after riding in heavy rain

I haven't had a problem yet. Only thing I could add is just a touch slippery in the rain, depends which gloves Im wearing however. I took the idea from a friend and his bicycle. He had some grips from a tennis racket on his fixed gear and it got me thinking what else was out there.  The same company I purchased the bar tape from from has a Grip but for a bicycles as well,  after doing some searching I have seen a few fellas make the proper modifcatinos and retrofitted onto their bike.  Also looks very cool, but at a close inspection while in the shop it didn't look like it would last, it was made of plastic but I could be wrong. 

The character the grips have only gets better with wear/tear. Coincidently it matches the colour of my wallet, im kind of hoping it shows similar wear after some time. 

• 1 month later...

I finally received the seat from my guy in Calgary, @ Degreeves Automotive Upholstery. He did a fantastic job and he threw in a nice touch, you can see in the corner on one of the photos. The leather tape comes from a company in England and as you can see he just sewed it up and wrapped it around. I thought the leather may be a little slippery but cause of the direction of the overlap and the stitching it does a better job of keeping my tall (6.4) body away from the tank and from scuffing it. Hope you guys like it as much as I do......I might add that it is no longer as Dark as "Scuds" New Whip, but the contrast is great. Almost makes me think if I should just powder coat the Pork Chops a bit darker. It has been -15 -20C the last few weeks here and now it is Muddy and +5, so a Picture in my underground is just as picturesque as the ugly slush outside....yes I did add a little filter to compensate....

rsz_11fullsizerender-1.jpg

rsz_1rsz_1rsz_img_4511-1.jpg

That looks great. What's better than a black and tan? (rhetorical question)

I might add that it is no longer as Dark as "Scuds" New Whip, but the contrast is great. Almost makes me think if I should just powder coat the Pork Chops a bit darker.

That's dangerous thinking... pretty soon you'll notice all kind of other things that could be a bit darker...  :ninja:

I like the red porkchops for contrast. I think they're distinctive. I'm eager to see how they look when I put my next batch of darker parts on.