Fuel (gas) tank issues

Twocati

Sorry folks I wore out the seach button trying to find this but to no avail. Due to the fabulous fuel available in North America I have a bubbling tank and some seepage around the fuel lines. Anybody know a good product I can use to re-line the inside of the tank? Por-15 is not recommended for fiberglass/plastic tanks,neither is Red Kote. Caswell seems to be usable but is known to flake off if the bond is not 100% Then you get "floaties" clogging up the fuel pump and lines. Any hot tips out there? If the friendly neighbourhood moderator could move this to where it could be seen more readily I would be very happy and thankful. Cheers Marty

This is really a major topic. Especially now that these bikes are "soon-to-be-vintage" and the problems of fuel formulations and the nylon tanks are well established.

So, we've make a new thread in Technical Topics to revisit this known issue with this type fuel tank.

Much discussion has been lent to concerns over the nylon tank material, susceptibility to fuel formulation, especially regarding ethanol, shape deformation and problems with paint "bubbling" (coming loose).

Let's regroup in this thread and focus on solutions.

yeah, check that it's not swelling around the steering neck.. looking down from the saddle, the right side where it wraps around the neck can swell and contact an end tube of the frame which can easily wear a hole right thru the tank..