maxi fuse

rossi46

What I don't like about this method is the the wire ends are pointy and can cut through in insulation over time. I try to smooth them out.

Ken

wire.jpg_zpsu6jsvvoi.png

Don't twist the wires before you twist them together it makes it too bulky/

He bared way too much insulation, you only need 1/4" longer than the joint.

Nice hot iron to quickly heat the local are otherwise if you get it too hot the solder will wick up the wire and make it brittle.

Actually I prefer to crimp wire these days, Dip the wires in Vaseline first if it's in a wet area

• 2 weeks later...

Roy - I'm curious what type of crimps you use.  Do you rely on the crimp alone or do you solder too?  I have always twisted, soldered and heat shrinked, but I bought some of these to try out recently:

Open barrel crimp splice resized.JPG

They seem like they make a nice tight connection, but I haven't actually used them.  It seems like they would make the rigid portion of a splice much shorter than a twisted and soldered connection.

The ones I bought are from this vendor:

http://www.cycleterminal.com/splice-terminals.html

But searching for "open barrel crimp splice" brings up lots of similar products from other vendors.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the look of those, they should outlast a solder joint for sure especially if there is any flexing. I always smear a little petroleum jelly aka Vaseline on the wires before crimping, this stops any corrosion.

Solder tends to make a wire bend at one spot where it work hardens and snaps, a crimp spreads the flexing, and the joint will last twice as long.

I don't have any favourite crimps but I see some from China made with very thin material, the spade connectors for example tend to loose their tension if stressed too much.

Luigi soldered some of the joints in my V11 loom, I must say he used high quality solder and made sure the joint was well protected against flexing.