No high beam - any ideas?

PDoz

So I've just stupidly replaced the high / low beam switch without testing if everything was working before...and now high beam doesn't work. I'm not certain if I've killed it or it was already dead....I'm kicking myself for not testing first!

After an hour of looking / testing / swearing my brain hurts so I'm going to sleep on this one - have you guys got any ideas?

The logical question - Is there a separate relay for high / low ( and where do they live) ?

I've noticed the horn isn't working either - so do the horn / high beam share a different relay / fuse to low beam?

My multimeter tells my the high beam switch still works - ie volts across switched off, no volts switched on ( vice versa on ohms)

The bulb is alive ( putting independant power across it fries my eyes with both high and low) , and swapping bulbs doesn't fix it

The flasher doesn't work either, and I didn't touch that ( I'm doing my best to hope I didn't cause this.....)

I notice neither the light or the dash light comes on , but surely guzzi wouldn't be silly enough to wire the bike so a blown dash light kills high beam??? ( I'm getting desperate)

If / when this turns out to be something really simple....I'd just like to point out how much fun I had researching this - thanks Jap for the chuckle http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13108&hl=%2Bhigh+%2Bbeam&do=findComment&comment=141306 And a VERY big thanks to kiwi roy for the awesome easy to read wiring diagram that unfortunately doesn't include the headlight details ( but is still very impressive) - you really need to teach the guys who write service manuals!!! http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=10181

Ps our ozzie switch blocks are different to the us blocks - we get to turn the lights off. But unfortunately my high / low switch was no longer staying stuck in high , which is why I replaced it with a switch from a cheap generic block. If it turns out I stuffed up with soldering...I blame the monday night factor.

Hmmm - high and low beam both come through relay #2 with the horn, brake light, tach, and "warning" lights. Not sure how the "Euro" light switch changes the wiring.

Not all of these are out?

And by "flasher," you mean the turn signals and indicator?

Common fault from all that: Ignition Switch. Have you had it apart for a look?

The H/L beams share the same supply on most bikes. On mine the horn is also on the same fuse. The flasher not working is a mystery, did you change out the whole switch?

With the key on all. fuses should be

Do you have a schematic for your bike, which year & model?

Sent from my shoe phone!

Sorry guys, my stupidity. The high / low beam switch on the oz model have a white pos, white to the high beam and black to the low beam. Gues who thought the black was a common wire. Lesson learnt - no Monday mechanics ....

Btw by flasher I meant the high beam flasher. Plus I was just replacing the flasher part of the switch because a new switch block is $440 !!! ( there is one on ebay in the usa at the moment for $200 - wish I saw that a few days ago!)

Everything is working perfectly now - thanks guys and sorry about my stupidity.

Ps we call it the flasher because it only gets used when we flash high beam to warn oncoming traffic about speed cameras / cops hiding in bushes with radars / other equally dangerous things like a herd of cows across the road just over the crest. I suspect if you flashed high beam at a slow driver in oz you'd be more than likely to see a rude gesture / brake lights slam on than actually have a daydreaming driver pull over into the " slow" lane. There are no IQ tests for drivers over here.....even I have a licence!