USB port

nobleswood

I've had a USB port on my bike with connectors coming straight from the battery. However with the battery tender on there it's getting crowded & I thought I should hard wire it in. There is a 5amp fuse on the line already, but I'm not certain of the best place to draw power from?

My thought was the headlight as thats physically close but doesn't that circuit regulate the battery charging?

Advise for the 'electrically challenged' would be appreciated.

Thanks

IMHO It's best to choose a circuit that's turned off with the key, the headlight circuit would be my choice the small load the USB adds won't have any effect.

BTW the USB adapter contains a 5 Volt regulator.

I'm studying Carl Allison's schematic on the 2004 V11 & trying to decide to add into the low beam ( green/grey ) wire or the high beam (brown) at the connector by the headlight . Or should I be splicing in at the fuse block before the load line is divided?

Yours

Confused of Columbus

Battery Tender makes a USB port adapter. It plugs in where you would otherwise charge the bike. I extended my charging cable from the battery to put it where I want the USB port (ran it up the frame to the area between headlight and RH handlebar.) When I want USB, I plug in the adapter. When I want to change the bike, the plug is up nice and high. When I don't want either, It's just got a cap on it. I'm most likely to want to charge my phone while the bike is off - so having it use the un-switched charging wire works for me. Some devices get disrupted when power is switched on and off - such as when stopping for fuel. That's true of my GPS, and another reason I like the un-switched power.

My reasons are purely utilitarian - KiwiRoy probably has some electrical knowledge behind his suggestions.

Thanks Kiwi-Roy.

Scud, I did have a similar arrangement, with the connections under the seat, but wanted to clean up the wiring and lose something that I had to remember to disconnect.

First good ride of Spring. Can't decide if after removing the cross-over the pipes sound louder or do I just have a exhaust leak

On the earlier bikes you can pick up switched 12v at the electronic petcock connector.  Many people have switched over to the later petcock leaving this connector available.  I modified a 12v to USB adaptor to plug into the petcock connector and mounted the USB connector behind my headlight.  

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1671&page=2&&do=findComment&comment=206591

Unfortunately, I don't think this is helpful to Nobleswood since his bike is a 2004.  I figured it could be helpful to others if I captured the link in this thread.