HID Headlight Experiment

moto fugazzi

After trying just an HID retro bulb in my V11S housing, the light was very bright, but not very focused (light was very scattered and blinded oncoming traffic). Most of the reason for this could be because the small shroud in front of the bulb broke off inside the headlight. 

Not good to ride like that at night, so time to improve on the headlight. An HID projector may be the answer. I realized that a standard Jeep Wrangler headlight fits right into a standard motorcycle bucket (both are par 56 units). The Jeep has a domed lens, and a projector should fit inside with some mods. Here's what I did.

Bought a Mini H1 projector and shroud from DDM Tuning (I already had the ballast and other bits from them). 

Heat the Jeep headlight in the oven. 10 minutes at 275f, and the glue let loose so I could remove the lens.

Dremel the Jeep housing so that the projector would fit. Install shroud over the projector, drill 4 holes in the ho, using so that the shroud and projector will be screwed into place from the backside. The gap in-between the projector and housing should be filled in with epoxy or some other adhesive. 

Paint the headlight housing and shroud (optional). I used high temp VHT satin black wheel paint, that's good up to 250f.

Install the lens back onto the housing with a sealer. Most people use butyl roll tape that also works on auto windows. Available from DDM tuning. 

My Emgo headlight bucket was 1" too shallow, so I had to extend it. A 1.5" hole saw, and some PVC plastic parts to extend it.

Wire everything up. This requires an electrical feed from the battery (HID unit has a relay in the system). You'll also have to find a place to mount the ballast and relays for this.

Some pics below of what I did. Nothing is sealed up yet, as I'm waiting for the paint to fully cure. 
Ken

Projector and shroud. DDM will send one if that's all you need, but you'll have to call them for that.
V3%20H1%20Projectors%20%20%20H1%20Shroud

Jeep Wrangler headlight. 2007-2016, and found on eBay.
s-l1600_zpsv9bukpyv.jpg

Backside of routed out lens. Take note that the gap is not sealed up yet. I freehanded this with a dremel.
IMG_8962_zpsqvrfjwyt.jpg

Headlight and shroud painted black:
IMG_8957_zps54alpgqk.jpg

Headlight bucket was too shallow, so I put a small dent in it, and attacked it with a 1.5" hole saw.
IMG_8951_zpsopfq8wq0.jpg

Fittings from the electrical department at the hardware store. If the bucket is extended too far, it will rub against the ignition switch. I marked this piece with tape to trim it down 1/4".
IMG_8953_zpsnrfqtvo7.jpg

Cap added to the backside. Will most likely be painted black.
IMG_8969_zpswcic5jg3.jpg

Mounted on bike.
IMG_8980_zpsknmuy06m.jpg

Front view at night.

Low beam.
HIDlow1_zpstigjfv5s.jpg

High beam. Bike was not quite vertical (leaning a little to the left). It was raining during these pics, and I was worried about my camera phone getting too wet.
HIDhigh2_zpsaalxhfuw.jpg

In the rain.
HIDlowfront_zpsirfutswv.jpg

• Like 1