Quat D Muffler

Guest gooddog

Guest gooddog

David if you are out there, I was reading the Quat D Thread, and wondering what your reaction to the mistral pipes are after losing the "Furia" muffler. Is the high end power noticable?

ray

Guest captain nemo

Ray,

I think I saw you again just before the Superbowl on Sunday. Was that you traveling up the hill from Ballard toward Wallingford? As usual, you looked pretty cool. I'm looking forward to some riding with you. Where did you get your speeding ticket?

If David is not around, I remember him saying that he got more top end power from the Mistrals and liked them. I think he thought the Qs were better in a small area in the low range, but lacking when things got going fast. That makes sense to me as there would be more back pressure with the Q.

Guest gooddog

what's up capt'n, i'm sure your new set up is pretty similar to the performance of the quat-d. from what david wrote on the previous thread i would imagine that you might have some cough/ pop issues going on as well. im super stoked to get my hands on a new exhaust set up, i just want to make sure i'm satisfied with what i through the bread down on.

got my ticket out on 405 just south of the 85th street cloverleaf the day after that horrible movie(TOURQUE) came out. i couldn't believe that i would ever get a ticket for only going "75"! oh well lesson learned.(made mental note of that speed trap, and note to ride on saturday afternoons. :doh: )

I haven't spotted your bike out there yet, though my girlfreind swears that she saw you and the motomonster sometime last October. one of the days when you are up and running i'd like to give your new system a whirl. :bike:

ray

Guest captain nemo

Ray,

So, was that you I saw?

I don't have any pops or coughs with my new pipe. It runs better than ever. If you have a Power Commander, you will be able to get any pipe you like and get it to run just fine. I'll be going over to Bremerton where I can have a Dyno run done. Then my bike will really be running great.

I suggest you buy the Q from G and B. It looks cool, and I hear it sounds good. You will be reducing weight and I swear you will be able to get your bike to run just fine. Nothing to worry about there. I think you are probably like me and have no interest in bragging to others about your horsepower or runs over 130 mph. If you like good, usable low to mid range power, get the Q. Why not have something unique for your money?

Guest gooddog

As V11 lemans or sport riders, we all, with a few exceptions of course, must face up to the fact that we won't be winning any grand prixs any time soon. my riding partner has an R1 and there is no way in hell that i can keep up when he twists the throttle wide open. 5 horsepower difference between the QD and a set of LeoV's isn't going to bother me that much, most of the really exciting riding is done laid over pushing the 4.5-5.5K zone. I do however like to ride up around the 7500 range on certain strips of backroad, highway, and expressway; hell, even down my neighborhood street. If the difference between the crossover muffler and a set of open pipes is substantial, I think i will stick with the pipes. I'm in to the clean rear end aspect and think the QuatD is definately cool, and seeing as how the Galasseti and Leo Vinci people don't know how to return an e-mail, my choices are getting narrower.

yeah captain, that was me.

ray

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I have had no time to read the list and my email account is gone.

Anyway, going from stock to QuatD I gained mid range and lost peak HP.

Going to the Mistral (still with stock crossover) I gained peak HP and lost Low and Mid range.

The Mistral sounds prettier but, the Quat-D made the bike feel more alive and fun to ride and was complemented by the open airbox lid.

I will be getting the stucchi or fbf crossover to regain midrange and a more aggressive sound.

And if I get more money I would like to do a custom 2 into 2 muffler similar to what Paul M. did.