Replacement clip-ons or barbacks

Guest Buck

I know, it's a taboo subject and I should just "get used" to the riding position of my wonderful new V11 Lemans. I've seen suggestions like that made to other people about other bikes.

The problem is that at 5'8" I have to lean farther forward than those of you who are taller. I've put 625 miles on my Lemans so far (in a week), and although I truly love the bike I found that 100 miles last Saturday made me a little sore, and 150 miles the next day made my upper back and neck significantly sore. I'm no stranger to endurance riding on my R1100RT (I'm an Iron Butt member) and I completely understand the rules of fatigue, the art of relaxing your muscles, switching positions, calisthenics, etc. I plan to ride most of the rest of the good weather with the bike in it's current form, but if I'm still having problems I would like to install barbacks or replacement clip-ons, whatever is available. Where can I find these, and how much are they? Are there different choices for setback and rise?

Thanks!

Buck

Somebody posted two bros racing, I think our bikes take the 54mm. If you go too high, you will need to redo the brake lines, clutch lines and perhaps wiring.

http://www.twobros.com/TBR_Website_NEW/Pro...3_Riser_HB.html

Also, some have modified the triple clamp to except standard bars.

Many other bars are available. Centauro swan neck bars may work too.

Frank Wedge had a set of Jackal bar mounts installed on his upper triple clamp on his Lemans and then used a superbike style handlebar. Still very sporty, but a few inches taller than the stock clip ons. I believe it was covered a few issues ago in the MGNOC Magazine.

That seemed like a very good modification.

I just got back from the dealer ordering the Jackel bar clamp and super bike bars for my Lemans.I'll let you know how it turns out.There was a V11 Sport in there that had the same set up as shown in Cycle World(the same parts I ordered).It looked like it should,very clean install and sets the bars back just to where it's still sporty, but more comfy on longer hauls.I like it better than the Three Brothers set-up.

Putting some miles on the Rich Maund set now.Do yourselves a favor and have him make one for you.It's worth it.

Your Ass Will Love You!

J.R.

Buck,

I got a set of multi-adjustable Tomaselli clip-ons from Agostini. They have done the trick for me at 5' 10". They will adjust on two planes and are of excellent quality. I have managed to retain current hydraulic hoses.

They cost about $120 delivered.

Regards,

John

Good tip about the Jackel risers, are they anodised ally, bare ally, or chromed? (I'v never seen a Jackel up close). Also do all the standard cables/pipes fit if flatish superbike bars are fitted?

Does anybody have a picture of them that tey could put up - I hate buying things unseen!!!

Guest PJ FitzGerald

I'd suggest that you take a look at the Stucci adjustable bars that MG Cycle offers and has pictured on their web site (mgcycle.com). These work like the swan neck clip-ons on the V7 Sport and allowed me to raise the bars about 2" and move them about an inch closer to the seat without changing any of the wiring or hoses. In addition to being completely adjustable, they are very well made and seem to be a good deal for the money.

Guest HI-TECH-CHECK

All useful information,as I am also in the market for a more comfortable ergos. But please differentiate what models you have. The v11 sport has concerns with cable and hydralic line length while the lemans adds fairing clearance concerns as well. If anyone has had a successful modification,pictures would be great as well as any in depth problems you may have run into including vibration issues,clearance problems,quality issues and vendor problems.

Guest JohnInNH

PJ,

I have been considering the clip on's you got. A few questions.

1) Bar end weights... Did the factory ones fit? I have the throttlemeister throttle lock, and was hoping it would fit.

2) How was the install? Was it difficult to drop the shock (fork leg) to put these in?

Thanks

I'm not entirely certain this is applicable as I have a V11 and a Sport 1100i, but you don't drop the forks to change the clipons. On the top middle of the upper yoke, there is a little chromed plastic "button" cover. You pry that off and remove the nut underneath, loosen the pinch bolts on each fork tube on the upper yoke and then slip it up and off. Then you remove the clip-ons. I guess you do all of this after removing the LeMans handlebars as they fit above the yoke, but the procedure should be the same. Then you would put the new clipons on the fork tubes, re-install the yoke and tighten all of the various hardware bits.

One thing you should do first is measure the diameter of the fork tubes. The Verlicchi clipons at mgcycle are 54mm.

My understanding is that the Verlicci (sp) clips-ons from MG Cycles do NOT allow the factory bar weights to be re-installed. They are curved and therefore it may not even be possible to have the interior threaded to accomodate the bar ends. If any one finds otherwise please advise as I would love to get a pair but do not want to sacrafice my CRG bar end mirrors/weights.

Hey Joe,

CRG makes a rubber mounted insert adapter for their mirrors. However, because they are rubber mounted the image in them will be somewhat blurred by vibration. (total hearsay, but it makes sense)

I think long ago someone on this forum commented on having used them.

Guest JohnInNH

Carl,

Thanks for the info. Sure sounds easier than I thought.

Joe... I know the bars are curved, however if the ID is the same as the factory ones the streight section MAY be long enough to accomadate the 4" needed for the Throttlemeister bar ends.

If we can get someone to measure the ID of the tube we could see if they will work.

• 2 weeks later...

Reprising an old post but what was the verdict on raising the bar. What would we do on the MG Cycle bar end weights? Why can't I get Agostini to give me a price that matches up with the $120 that someone posted previously. What about the two brothers setup? And finally why is this voice in my head saying duhduhduhduhduhduhduhduh? :doh: