Riding V11 Before the Recall Work?

wildbill

My '00 V11 Sport is in need of the tranny recall work, but is not affected by the con rod problem.... Question for you fine folks is should I bring it in for the work and leave it til it's fixed or do you think it's OK to ride it til the dealer is ready to do the work? I know the notice says not to ride it but it's smooth as glass now so I was wondering if you think the risk is realistic?

I love the bike and hate to part with it just as spring has sprung ... :wub:

Thanks...

l

Guest Ronbo10

:huh2: I'm not sure either...I'm facing the same dilema. I have a 2000 V11 sport that's affected by the recall as well. Ferracci's had the repair kit on order for some time now. I bug them every now and then, but nothing. What makes it worse are the spring like days we've been enjoying every now and then over the last several weeks. I didn't feel so bad when it was 10 degrees out with snow on the ground, but the delay's starting to bug me....My shifter hangs up every now and then on the upshift (it's been in the shop several times over this issue but it remains a recurring problem), which is probably totally unrelated, but it gives me pause to ride it. Have you been given an ETA for the repair kit? If I loose a season of riding over this, I'm going to be not happy. Good luck getting your's done sooner rather than later.

Cheers

Ron

As you all know this is a much debated issue. Anyone's attorney would tell you NOT to ride it. Of course all the attorneys are off riding Harley's and we know how well designed they are with their perfect and timely warranty support. :not:

At 25,000 miles my Sport wouldn't upshift or downshift reliably. Going into mountain switchbacks in neutral , jabbing for any-gear is not my idea of safe riding. I told MGNA and my dealer the bike was dangerous. The new gearbox is a delight.

(but I never did stop riding it). :bike::bike:

Guest v11jap

I asked my dealer the same and they said not to worry just ride it! (that's what i did for the first 25000 km so..........)

Got the recall work done and got twin spark while they were at it and it's superbe...

Ciao

jasper

Guest squiddysquid

No ETA on parts yet. The local shop has 15(!) bikes on the list ahead of mine...according to the shop they have received no info. from Guzzi on a shipping date for the parts.

I quit riding for about a week after I got the notice, but I couldn't resist for much longer...if it seizes up at 60, at least I'll go happy.

Hi All,

I was under the impression that most of the parts kits had been sent. I took my bike in to the dealer last week after he called and said that he was ready to work on it. I rode mine up until the day before it went in. If you are not having any trany issues I would ride it.

RR

Munroe Motors has all of the parts in for the recall and I'm pretty high on their list for the work (I called in December). I've been riding it as often as I can, but my V11S sees limited riding because of a bent sidestand. I'm afraid to park it anywhere but home on the shop stand for fear that it will fall over. My tranny still shifts smoothly so I'm not too concerned about any failures. As for the sidestand, I have a new one on order. Graham in NZ from the WildGuzzi board bent his back with good results, so I might try that while I'm waiting.

Munroe Motors has all of the parts in for the recall and I'm pretty high on their list for the work (I called in December). I've been riding it as often as I can, but my V11S sees limited riding because of a bent sidestand. I'm afraid to park it anywhere but home on the shop stand for fear that it will fall over. My tranny still shifts smoothly so I'm not too concerned about any failures. As for the sidestand, I have a new one on order. Graham in NZ from the WildGuzzi board bent his back with good results, so I might try that while I'm waiting.

Taminatorv,

How did you bend your sidestand?

Mike

Munroe Motors has all of the parts in for the recall and I'm pretty high on their list for the work (I called in December).  I've been riding it as often as I can, but my V11S sees limited riding because of a bent sidestand.  I'm afraid to park it anywhere but home on the shop stand for fear that it will fall over.  My tranny still shifts smoothly so I'm not too concerned about any failures.  As for the sidestand, I have a new one on order.  Graham in NZ from the WildGuzzi board bent his back with good results, so I might try that while I'm waiting.

Taminatorv,

How did you bend your sidestand?

Mike

I have no idea how my sidestand got bent. I never sit on the bike while on it's side stand. I just walked out one day and it was really leaned over. I'm guessing there was some porosity in the casting and it just bent one day.