rear wheel removal

mikie

When removing the rear wheel, the manual says to first remove the 27mm nut on the brake disk side, and then unscrew the pin (axle) part way to remove the caliper. I'll do this tomorrow, but looking at it I'm wondering how to get the axle out. Does one just tap it out from the brake side or is there actually a way to unscrew it from the other side that doesn't seem obvious at first glance?

This thread may help in the How To section:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1326

.... but yes, the axle screws out from the right side with the hex key/slug included in your tool kit in combination with a socket. Once you unscrew it, you can pull/work it out by hand.

Hope that helps :)

al

Guest Brian Robson

If you are using the MG stand, put a couple of pieces of 3/4 wood under the wheel. It will allow the axle to come out and go back in easily.

Guest Brian Robson

It has to be the greatest feeling on a bike to ride with new tyres. The handling is improved, cornering is safer and braking ability increases.

As an aside, when I changed my tyres at 36,000Km, all the bearings were rough. My local dealer reports that he recommends the bearings be replaced at every tyre change. Of course he does, you say BUT you can change all four bearings in both wheels for $36.00 Canadian, and I think its cheap reassurance.

BTW changing the bearings is so easy, another thanks to MG for ease of labour......shaft drive, valves, air filter, fuel filter, oil and oil filter.....the easiest bike to work on that I've ever owned.

Guest Brian Robson

Already did that first time John ..these bearings were well shagged. Used german bearings next, see if they are more efficient

Rain, snow salt here in the Arctic Riviera did them in. Thanks though.

mikie

you probably know this already but while the wheels out its a good oportunity to grease the rear hub splines and its easier to get at those pesky grease nipples on the UJs/shaft.

Mal :helmet: