rear tire life expectancy

Guest Dave Pott

Guest Dave Pott

My Ballabio came with Metzler Sportec and I was wondering how many miles they go before replacement. Most of the miles are and will be mountain riding which i assume will be harder on the tire.

By the way, these Metzlers work really well. Even after little slip on sand or gravel the catch up immediately. I suppose the trade off is low mileage

My Ballabio came with Metzler Sportec and I was wondering how many miles they go before replacement. Most of the miles are and will be mountain riding which i assume will be harder on the tire.

By the way, these Metzlers work really well. Even after little slip on sand or gravel the catch up immediately. I suppose the trade off is low mileage

The Metzeler Sportec's will last up to 4 to 5,000 miles for the rear tire and almost twice that for the front. You might get more mileage out of them if you do more mountain riding verses the highway slab ( center of tire wearing out early).

Mike

The death of a rear tire is almost always due to center wear from straight line riding. I can't recall ever seeing threads showing at extreme angle parts of the tire.

Tire life also depends on the compound. My brother goes through a set of race compound Dunlops in 3000kms on his RC30. I get over 16,000kms out of duel purpose Metzeler Sahara rears. I've got just over 12,500kms on 020 Dunlops right now, a bit flat spotted in the centre, but I'm pretty sure I'll get another 4,000kms out of the rear. The front is amazingly ok, just a bit of scuffing and overlap rolling on the edges.

Ciao, Steve G.

Guest Brian Robson

I've been a disciple of the Bridgestone 010 front and 020 rear. Interestingly, the last set had both the front and rear wearing out at exactly the same time.

The first set of 020's(OE) lasted 20,000Km and the second set of mixed lasted 16,000Km.

The earlier wear I put down to a very hot summer and a week of riding in the Shushwap region with no cops and speeds of 240Km/hr at times on the clocks. These tyres are great in the winter and the summer.

A tip I have is that the wider tyres wear more evenly if they are at manufacturers pressure, which in the LeMans case is 32/36, not the often quoted 36/42psi. The higher pressure will get a quicker wear rate on a narrower patch at the centre of the tyre, this I am sure contributes to an earlier feeling of "white lining".

With the Lemans having decent front suspension once it is set up, there was no cupping on the 010 front.

They are often the cheapest set of tyres and are easily available.

No, I don't work for Bridgestone.

I just remember how crap their tyres were on Japanese bikes of the 70's and how far they have come