Tank Protector ???

MickM

Hi All, I'm very new to Guzzi ownership, having a 2003 LeMans. Very happy with it as an older/slower rider. Love the low end grunt and general character. Came from an old Ducati so love the clean shaft and the nice mix of old technology with the useful new technology of the injection and great brakes. Not so keen on the 3000-3500 rpm vibration which is right at a lot of our Australian speed limits. I'm in the process of machining some 60mm long bar ends which I hope will kill most of it. I'm also lifting the bars 12mm which will make the ride position my idea of perfect. The last problem I want to try and fix is a fear of marking the back of the tank. Anyone know of a quality half tank style protector to suit ? I don't want to stick anything on it and would prefer a strap-on something like the American Lockhart Phillips product (only made for Jap stuff unfortunately).

Many thanks, Mick.

...maybe not what you are looking for, but I can't say enough good things about www.thetankslapper.com

I actually take the side cutouts and custom cut a slightly taller version out the material. It seems to last about a year before I manage to damage it. But it's nearly indestructable, and great looking... in that, they are INVISIBLE :sun:

Check 'em out ^_^

al

I forgot to mention that the Snider film is thinner than the Tank Slapper film. Actually I prefer it that way since it molds to the body work better. You can also cut extra pieces for tank bags and other luggage.

Early on I noted the easy possibility to marr the back of the tank. I bought the clear mylar film used specifically for saving motocross bodywork, [from North Washington Guzzi dealer Skagit Motorsports incidently]. With a heat gun, [or hair dryer] you can mold it to shape to stretch or even shrink it around the compound mold shapes in most modern bike shapes.

Friends have seen this and used it to save panel scuffing on their bikes.

Ciao, Steve G.

Go to a sign maker and beg, borrow, steal or buy a piece of clear adhesive plastic sign material. Taint bad.

Keep in mind that the "tankslapper" isn't adhesive or "self stick" ^_^

I don't like adhesive based protectors, as they could damage the soft Guzzi paint finish.

That's the great thing about the "tankslapper" vinyl stuff(which BTW, can be found elsewhere in bulk, but I just don't know where off-hand). You just squeegee it on with water, and surface tension.... static.... or something... just holds it on like "magic".

Neat stuff! No mess, no tack, invisible :sun:

al

Another option you may want to consider is the 3M clear plastic sheets. They're self-adhesive, you cut them to whatever shape you want, and they last forever. I've been using this stuff for years, and when I've had occasion to peel it off, there's never been any marks whatsoever. Available in some motorcycle shops, especially off-road dealers.

Many thanks for the suggestions guys. The 'tankslapper' idea seems safe for the paint and practical. Thanks again !