Is this a dumb exhaust idea?

Guest Steve in VA

Guest Steve in VA

Ok, I bought Rich's V11S. It is a little loud for me. I am considering putting on an aftermarket crossover, and putting the stock mufflers back on, in hopes that I will not lose much in performance, but quiet it down somewhat. Perhaps I will even get a custom PCIII map to help counteract any performance loss. The bike is currently running very well, but the PCIII map is not a dyno map. The bike has an open air box lid. Any comments on doing this?

Any idea what a Stucchi crossover costs & where to get it? MG Cycle? Any idea what a pair of used Mistral cans in very good condition should sell for if I decide to keep this set up?

....some very nice custom Mistrals with a Rich Maund made custom "Moto Guzzi" plate at that ^_^

But to answer your question, the Stucchi is indeed available through MG-Cycle, and according to the website is currently $295.95USD. If you order one, be sure to ask them to check to send you a "straight" one... as many are quite crooked from the factory <_>

Also, you can certainly change out the exhaust as you suggest, and performance will probably remain about the same.... maybe a little less torque/HP here or there, but nothing Earth shattering. The stock mufflers are quite restrictive, but indeed quieter.... but a LOT heavier too, if that matters to you.

After the change, you can contact Todd Eagan at www.guzzitech.com, and I'll bet he can provide another map that's "close enough" based on your changes. After all, that's how Rich got the map you have on there now :thumbsup:

al

Can a V11 ever be too loud ? **grins** I love the exhaust note that I get from the titanium cans but i know it's a matter of personal taste. In my opinion thats what makes Guzzi's so great, they're just really indiviual bikes. It's a shame that I left my stock cans at Moto International or you could have had them. If you liek I could ask if they're still lying around ?

robbie

Steve,

A couple of things:

First, I'm glad to hear (no pun) somebody else worry about noise. My bike is louder than stock (see below) but I went to quite a bit of effort to find a compromise between stock and pissing off my neighbors and other innocent bystanders. I like riding and the number roads being closed to motorcycles is getting frightening. I was at Furnace Creak in Death Valley recently, unfortunately the high Db/ low IQ crowd (a Harley group) was there at the same time. Gosh, nothing like sitting around the 'ol campfire listening to the sound of revving engines A MILE AWAY! I wonder what the people at the cabin/ camp next door were thinking.

If you are talking about noise from the riders POV, put the lid back on the air box. I was amazed at how much louder my bike was when I took the air box lid off. Standing next to the bike you can't really tell but from the seat it is a lot louder.

I ran the X-pipe with stock pipes, it actual worked pretty well. I don't have access to a dyno but seat of the pants the bike is a fair bit stronger in the mid range with the X-pipe, open air box and after market mufflers but it isn't a huge deal. Just changing the mufflers (the last thing I did) didn't make a noticeable difference. You might try is running the stock cross-over with the after market cans. That will knock a few Db off and still give you a nice tone.

For what it is worth I join Rj in giving the raspberry to carbon fiber mufflers. I think this is another example of good ideas on the track not translating well to the street. :bbblll:

Finally, for you and anybody else interested in a little nicer tone without a lot more noise, I now have a few thousand miles and one short tour on the Stainintunes and I have to say I am very happy with them. With the "touring restrictors" in place the bike has a very nice tone and I haven't had a dirty look riding by people yet. :thumbsup:

Good luck with whatever you do,

Lex

I paid $250US for a nice used set of aluminum round Mistrals. IMHO they sound much better and a bit quieter than the CF versions I have heard.

They sing real purdy! :wub:

Rj

....the ones on Steve's bike(Rich's old V11S) are the old Guzzi factory "performance" pipes, which are aluminum.... apparently Mistrals, and *had* those ugly "for off-road use" badges on them.

But being the fine craftsman and tinkerer that Rich was, some may remember about 2 years ago when he drilled off the warning plates, and had some very nice aluminum Guzzi eagle emblems made and rolled to fit the contour of the cans to replace the old badges :sun:

So, hence my comment about:

....some very nice custom Mistrals with a Rich Maund made custom "Moto Guzzi" plate at that  ^_^

As an aside, I too like the sound of the Guzzi engine, and like my Leo Vince Ti cans, but I also wish they were just a shade quieter :huh2:

And I can't stand the straight pipe crowd... <_ ...ridiculous.>

al

Guest dkgross

I've got a pair of OEM cans and connecting pipe from my '02 LeMans that I'm not using. Make me an offer!! I'd love to see them go to a good home.

I heard the Staintunes this weekend on another rider's Le Mans, they did sound very good.

I could of sworn - but now I can't find it - some comments about using a pair of reverse cone mufflers (Saintune? Emgo?) on a V11..........with the lines of the Le Mans, it might look & sound pretty darn good, the 'seat of the pants' evaluation was favorable.

Appreciate any leads or comments on this one, I may be hallucinating, but want to check out all options for my LeMans before laying out the cash.....

Phil

Mike Stewart put some reverse cone mufflers on his a while back, and soon took them off as they were apparently horrendously loud and obnoxious(his words ^_^ ).

But yeah, I think Zil(sp?) makes a set for the Ducati Monster that one could "make work", but I've never seen it done :huh2:

al

Mike Stewart put some reverse cone mufflers on his a while back, and soon took them off as they were apparently horrendously loud and obnoxious(his words ^_^ ).

But yeah, I think Zil(sp?) makes a set for the Ducati Monster that one could "make work", but I've never seen it done :huh2:

al

Yep,

The reverse cone mufflers that I used were made by D&D for the Ducati Monster. At idle the bike was not too loud but anytime you were on the throttle it was not too pleasent on the ears. The beautiful exhaust tone was lost and it sounded more like it had no mufflers at all. I have heard the Sil mufflers are loud as well. Humm, back to the drawing board.

Mike

Guest twogeese

Ride it for a bit and then see what you think...I think you might change your mind. To loose the rich sound of the Mistrals would be a mistake if you ask me.

Guest Brian Robson

I saw a set of Staintunes at a dealers and was really impressed with the quality. Stainless with stainless wool interiors, and will never need repacking. Plus they have a removable "silencer" so as to not annoy the neighbours.

My experience with D&D is of an overly noisy pipe of poor quality, and I didn't enjoy re packing the tailpipes with glass fibre