What went wrong

Guest russ

On the way back from the Italy Rally today, disaster struck. My brand new 02 LeMans quit. We stopped at a friends house and when I tried to restart a few minutes later it turned over, would start but not accept any load, sputtering and popping. At first we thought vapor lock but after cooling the engine down, the problem was still there. Bad gas? Well I did fill up and rode 46 miles on that tank....but I'm pretty sure it is not that. Even with bad gas it should accept some load. Seems to be a fuel injection issue? Any thoughts from the group?

BTW, had a great time in Italy and made alot of new friends. Special thanks to Sam Baker and Kelly Hinegardner for helping a brother out and getting me home.

:doh:

All I can do is venture a guess. Unless this is a common problem (I sure hope it isn't) it's not likely that it can be fixed over the internet. One thing that comes to mind is a throttle position sensor problem perhaps? If the sensor failed or if there were a bad connection at the sensor the computer would continue to provide only enough fuel to idle. Opening the throttle under those conditions would cause an excessively lean mixture, which would cause sputtering and popping.

Please post the fix!

Guest v11eric

Happened, tree times to me sofar, one or both of the injection body's has come of of the intake!?? :o

It's hardly to see, but easy to fix. Than you can turn the hose clamp also, for better access

Eric

01 V11 Lemans

Apparently, we may have the answer. All Guzzi's are made to California spec which means that they have a charcoal canister and a whole lot of tubing and other emissions related garbage that are not required in the other states. The mechanic at my dealership told be that he has seen a number of the new bikes have fuel back up into the canister and instead of the engine sucking air through the system it sucks more fuel making it overly rich and unable to run. His solution (except CA) is to deep six all the pollution garbage and retune the bike (just slightly). He told me that he recently did a Scura and that the bike has no problems now.

What the (sub your cuss word here) is Guzzi thinking. 49 states do not require this garbage so they put it in anyway? What does that add to the cost of the bike? What does it add to warranty repair costs to Guzzi? Most importantly, what damage does it do to the customer and their perception of Guzzi? No wonder there are so many unhappy new Guzzi owners. It is just plain stupid. I certainly did not expect a trouble free relationship, but I would at least think that Guzzi would not shoot themselves in the foot (head?) by being so short sighted.

I plan on working out the kinks to the bike because I know it will be a good mount once I do. How many people don't have the patience, or knowledge to figure these things out. It seems that Guzzi's worst enemy is Guzzi! :doh:

Got the kit today and it looks like a couple of hi grade stainless allen bolts and a stainless bushing. Instructions are clear and very well done. I am not sure it will be enough by itself for me but with the seat height being increased it could be.

I'll let the list know on Friday or Saturday on the install

:( Well, got the bike back Friday and the carbon cannister has been removed. Working great now! Today, Saturday, sprung a sizeable oil leak up on top of the engine (suspect oil line fitting). Called the dealer since it is leaking pretty heavy and he will pick it up on Monday. It is about time for the 1000mi service so might as well get on with it. All in 700 miles!

I sure hope these little nagging issues don't continue. I really like the bike and have almost got the ergos worked out.