2003 Tank Retrofit

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Saddle bag" Al? I would've called it a sump. But since it's volume is compromised, it might be more appropriate to call it a bilge.

Hey, yeah I see where you're coming from ^_^

But seriously, calling either side of the tanks "saddle bags" I think helps mentally illustrate the construction of the V11 tank for those who haven't looked at it closely.... or ever. In execution, it's sides are much like any "old school" tank that straddles a spine frame, where there are two, well.... "saddle bags" that either need two petcocks, or a balance tube in order for the engine to get to all the fuel.

Also, it's true that the internal pump module takes up space, and although I didn't end up with time last night to test fit the 2003 tank as planned(I was installing a hitch on our new multiple child carrier Honda Pilot :rolleyes: ) .... even though the outside dimensions look to be similar, I do know a little volume was added by elimination of the tank "pad", and with the widening(inboard) of the tank on the right underside where the module goes. I suspect these minor changes regained most of the volume in comparison with the old tank :huh2:

I'll be testing volume in the next day or three as well, and report... so we'll know for sure :grin:

I still can't get those @&^@#*®@! disconnects to snap off though :rolleyes:

al

Guest Fonzarelli

I have removed my tank three times. I agree that the first time the connectors seem odd, but they will disconnect.

Push the grey collar toward the fuel hose while holding the fuel hose stationary.

I have also removed the fuel hose and fitting by simply pushing the grey collar toward the hose allowing it to pop off.

Simply press the fitting back on the pump barb to reconnect.

I just tried my QD's using Frank and Fonzarelli's advice....It worked :thumbsup: only on mine it was backward! I tried doing it by pushing the grey collar toward the hose (away from the red and white connectors) and they would not come free. As soon as I tried pulling the collar AWAY from the hose and toward the tank connector while at the same time pulling the HOSE away from the connector..off they came easy as can be. I reinstalled and repeated each a couple times like I had done it my whole life...very cool. These sure beat my old MZ for convenience! :mg:

Randy

Whoo Hoo.... SUCCESS!!

I don't know what changed, but I pulled on the hose, and pushed on gray collar toward the hose(again)... and off they both popped with no drama :rolleyes:

I think that maybe because I soaked them with WD-40 last night, then let them sit all day... that might have helped. Maybe they were just frozen on a bit after sitting for so long with no fuel on them, etc...

Anyway, they work like a charm, awesome... no more hose clamps :thumbsup:

al

What worked:

fittings_what_worked.jpg

No problem Mik :D

... due to Easter festivities, and other Spring Break fun with the kiddos, progress is a little bit slower on this project than intended :rolleyes:

But I can offer the following update... first testing shows that the 2003 tank will physically fit a 2002 LeMans just fine :thumbsup:

The 2003 tank is demensionally very similar to the 2002 and earlier tanks, with two signifanct, and one minor difference I observed.

First, the most obvious difference of course is the wider right underside that accomodates the fuel-pump module/plate. I don't know how this would interact with a 2002 or earlier bike with the stock airbox still installed, but it appears that it would still fit. Maybe someone with access to a 2003+ and an earlier bike can compare airboxes to see if there is a difference?

Second, the 2003 is indeed a bit longer, but only at the nose. The predominance of the tank is the same, that is... the distance between the front mount "sockets" and the rear bolt hole appear to be the same, as it fits my 2002 frame just fine. And this would be expected, as I would have been surprised if MG altered the frame just to change the tank design. But beyond the front mount sockets, the nose is about an inch and a half longer, and a bit different in design. You can see the difference in the photos below.

I can say that IMHO the 2003 tank looks better on the bike, and this extension looks a bit cleaner, much more like the 2000/01 bikes before they lengthened the frame in this area in 02. But I can't see that this added too much capacity in the tank, but who knows :huh2: Small dimensional changes can certainly affect volume dramatically B)

Finally, the 2003 tank seems to be just a hair narrower at the sides, just from a visual inspection in its relation to the lines of the fairing as compared to the 2002. It certainly isn't a dimensional difference of any significant magnitude, and in fact may just be a manufacturing variance. Bottom line, the 2003 tank looks perfectly at home sitting inside the 02 fairing :bike:

So, again, in summary.... the 2003+ tank will physically fit an 02 LeMans just fine, at least one with its airbox removed.

A footnote though, I'm not certain that these tanks will fit an 00/01 Sport, as the new tanks have a longer nose, and those model years have a shorter frame section behind the head-tube. On these bikes, this longer tank nose may interfere with the triples, or just not fit at all. One would have to test :huh2:

So I suspect it seems that this modification is relevant for a very narrow range of models, 2002 only(as obvioulsy 2003+ bikes already have the tank :P ).

al

2003 Tank "Nose". Note that it is a bit longer. It appears that the lengthwise mounting dimensions are the same with both tanks, but the nose on the newer tanks is about an inch and a half longer beyond the forward mounting point.

I don't know if this was done for aesthetics(I do think it looks better than the 2002 tank :sun: ) ... or if to increase capacity to offset the new internal pump module... your guess is as good as mine :huh2:

But over the next day or two I will do a volume/capacity test on the new tank, and we'll know more.

2003_nose.jpg

A footnote though, I'm not certain that these tanks will fit an 00/01 Sport, as the new tanks have a longer nose, and those model years have a shorter frame section behind the head-tube. On these bikes, this longer tank nose may interfere with the triples, or just not fit at all. One would have to test :huh2:

You send me your old tank Al, and I'll test it out fer ya'. :thumbsup:

Actually, I would be interested in finding a spare tank one of these days. My interest tends toward radical surgery though. My machinist here at the University is an old plastics former, and I would see if he could form a larger tank using the original as a mold- there's a lot of wasted space next to the frame if you remove the airbox, and I'd like to see that put to good use.

Cheers,

Jason

Well, I think the old tank is pretty "well tested" at this point ^_^

However, I agree with you, and have been thinking the same thing for a long time :thumbsup:

Whether the old or new style tank, if one doesn't have the airbox anymore... cutting out the "saddle"(or just drilling holes in it) under the tank and bridging across the gap above the spine with a new panel would add at least a gallon to it's capacity.

Unfortunately I don't feel confident enough to do this modification myself, as I don't have extensive experience with polymers and plastics.

However, maybe someone on this forum has expertise in plastics, that could recommend what type of plastic and adhesive/solvent could bond them strongly and permanently to the tank?

All in all, I don't think a whole new tank would be required, and molding in all the fittings and internal plumbing might be beyond most "shade tree" machinists I suspect :huh2: It's actually a complicated tank when you look at it closely. Dunno though, I'd be interested to hear what he thinks :thumbsup:

....hrmmm, thinking.... I may drag my tank down to TAP plastics, and pick their brains :luigi:

al

Hello Al,

On the German site V11Sport.de

The members mention the following procedure:

Grasp the grey ring, and grasp the hose with your other hand.

While holding the hose, firmly push the grey ring INWARD.

Than pull the hose.

Maybe this will help? :doh:

Greetings Co from :nl:

Yep, got 2(6 & 9yrs) now, and another due June 16th :o

...also have a new "project" vehicle, our new Honda Pilot. I have to install the factory foglights, and transmission, and power steering cooler next weekend :luigi:

I've already installed the tow-hitch(what a PITA <_ and the honda cd changer is really alpine that was a minor pain as well dash didn come apart quite advertised src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_rolleyes.gif" alt=":rolleyes:">

And then there's the kid room remodel in progress, and various other mini-projects that is every homeowner's dilemma :P

Ahhh well, it never ends :lol:

al