Pistons, baby!

Motomonster

Looks like I'm going to get a set of FBF pistons for my Stone.

But this is a V11 Sport board, you idiot!

Yes, but Jaap lets me play here, so shut up.

Anyway, I recieved a set of hardbags as compensation for my bubbling paint and -- surprise, surprise -- MGNA sent me the wrong mounting brackets. So, I've arranged to trade them to the shop for credit -- enough to order the pistons and get them installed. Awesome.

My plan is to have them friction-coated first:

http://www.performancecoatings.com/enginecoatings.html

These folks did such a good job on my headers, and the performance gain was so surprising, that I'm going to have tham coat the pistons as well.

I don't know how long this will all take, but I'll keep y'all updated on the progress.

Of course, if I were Enzo, I'd just spray-paint them green, but hey... :D

How much does this coating process cost?

BTW, before you commit, I've dropped a note to Mike Rich on the subject of these coatings, and you might find his thoughts to be good information to consider before having them done :huh2:

Hopefully he'll get back to me in the next day or three. He's usually good about that.

al

Guest northend

Its OK to talk to yourself, but answering yourself is kinda wierd :blink::grin:

I'd like to know how the new pistons work out, let us know eh?? :thumbsup:

How much does this coating process cost?

BTW, before you commit, I've dropped a note to Mike Rich on the subject of these coatings, and you might find his thoughts to be good information to consider before having them done :huh2:

Hopefully he'll get back to me in the next day or three. He's usually good about that.

al

Thanks Al, I'll keep a lookout for the reply.

The sales pitch on the coatings is pretty good, but it will be nice to get a second opinion.

I'm not sure what the total cost is.

Here is what Mike Rich had to say regarding the various coatings, and about the current availability of his pistons:

I have pistons in stock now for V-11 Sport-Scura ect... aka 92mm Big valve engines -to follow are also 92mm mid valve for California- Jackle ect... and we will continue back in series as needed.  I remind you that if you put Carillo rods in your V-11 you should(must) have your Crankshaft rebalanced as you will not see any benefit and maybe a loss in power resulting in early failure of bearings and poor acceleration .

As far as coatings go I have my pistons friction-coated ($35.00 option) with a company I've been working with for the last 8 years. Thermal coating crowns is a waste of time as it only duplicates what carbon does and in an air cooled engine you need to transfer heat faster not retain it.     

Mike Rich           

P.S. Please make all future E Mail-correspondence to mrmsport1@aol.com 

Mike's pistons are $299

I'll be ordering my pistons from him "any day now" I guess, as soon as MGNA and the dealer decide to actually get my engine case swap going :wacko:

B)