front end wobble

bento

yeah, i've recently noticed a slight wobble if i shut the throttle around 30 or 40 mph. it started after we put the hepco becker rig on my sport.

i mentioned it on the other guzzi forum and got:

1. tire pressure.

2. tire cupping

3. bad fork bearings

the wobble does not happen at high speeds. i have over 9000 miles on my front tire. it's a bridgestone, how long should i expect it to last?

i really REALLY hope it's not the bearings. if there's a little tugging and pushing on the bike on a tire-clamp lift to get the hb on, would that generate enough force to mess something up in the front end?

i'm waiting to get it into the shop before i start tinkering with it. i figure i'll just leave all the evidence and let the pros trouble-shoot it out.

My V11sport developed a slight wobble around 35 mph after installing HB bags, upping the rear shock preload helped to pretty nmuch end this. Keep the bags loaded equally also helps. zzg

I've never felt a front-end wobble on my 2002 Le Mans with HB bags, although I don't normally ride with the bags attached. With 9000 miles on your front tire, I'd expect it to be well-toasted! Mine was cupped beyond rideability at 5000 miles, and I'm a relatively gentle rider. The model of tire is pretty important to the mileage equation -- mine was a BT020 (came stock on the bike).

If it started happening immediately after putting on the bags, that probably unloaded your front end just enough to start feeling the wobble. Carefully inspect your front tire for cupping, and replace it if the tread isn't perfectly flat between blocks, particularly in the central region of the tread. Even a mm or two of difference can make the bike feel really weird.

thanks for the input guys, tomorrow i start the sus tweaking, and yes, i'll put a new front on the list before any trips.

i am kind of a spunky rider, so i've probobly punished the front's belts a bit.

how did someone put it...oh yeah, "torque junkie" i believe was the term.