showa forks

Guest callithrix

Guest callithrix

I think Mike Stewart installed Mille forks on his v11. I wanted to inquire what year were the mille forks and what model V11? \What where the caveats for the switch? I read the thread but I wonder if you could summarize the project? thank you :bike:

Callithrix,

The main reason for installing the Aprilia Showa forks on my 00 V11 Sport was that ever since I had the stock forks and shock revalved and resprung, the bike just did not feel right. Meaning the suspension was way too stiff, would run wide on bumpy sweepers and was just not fun to ride anymore. I did send the forks back to have the dampening loosened up and it did help, but they still were not compliant. I had talked to Todd Eagan this last weekend and he had the same results when he had his forks revalved. He too ended up sending the forks back to have the damping reduced by 30% ( this was a different tuner). The main problem with sending your suspension parts out to have them revalved and resprung is that the suspension tuners do not know Guzzi's. I feel they could do a much better job if they had the bike and could feel what is needed before the revalve.

The Showa fork is a nice fork and worked very well in stock form on my Aprilia Falco. While the Showa fork worked equally well on the Guzzi, there was a problem that the fork is 20 mm. shorter. This made the bike even more nervous in the turns. A tire change to the Dunlop D220 may of corrected the nevousness.

Anyway, Jaap had a pair of Ohlin forks and a carbon fender that I bought to install on my 00 V11 Sport to bring the geometry back to stock. It has worked out well with the Penske shock in the rear. :thumbsup:

If you are still interested in the swap, I can tell you what parts are needed.

Mike

Callithrix,

The easiest way to install the Aprilia Mille/Falco forks is to use the Forks, front axle, fender, and front wheel from a 2000 to 2003 Mille or Falco.

You will still need spacers/shims to mount the 53mm. Showa forks into the place of the 54mm. Zokes.

The stock clip ons will not work either. You can make a shim to also work with the stock clip ons or go to an aftermarket set, such as the Two Bro Racing bars in the picture (53mm).

The front brake calipers will also have to be shimmed out about 2 to 2.5 mm. since the Guzzi triple clamp width is wider.

The stock wheel can be used but it will take alot more work. The bearings will need to be replaced to match the 25mm. front axle and a spacer will have to be machined to fit between the new bearings. A Ducati 999 front axle will be needed ($100.00). Now, the rotor spacing on the Guzzi is wider than the rotor spacing on the Aprilia, so now the calipers need to be machined to bring the calipers outward a few millimeters. This was a pain in the *%#@.

As I had posted, the forks are about 20mm. shorter than the stock Zokes. This will make the bike handle faster (25 degree rake). I did not like the quickness but I was running the Metzeler Sportec tires. The Dunlop D220 may be the answer but it is alot of work just to see if it will work.

Have fun,

Mike

:blink:

Don't exactly know if its compatible but i put in a pair of aprillia rsv mille forks in my girlfriends 1100i sport witch has the same frame :huh: ?

We machines a new cental axle and fitted new bearings and it went in like....

Then the next problem: Spiegler rotors where intended on the orginal wheel but made it wide for the brembo's from the mille ( actualy those where 996..) :angry:

Then a friend came by with his Duc 748...instand measuring... 10,5 cm against te original 12..eureka! So you could use that wheel with a rsv axle...

Detail...the wheel came by post...dented...

Greetz,

Peter