Stripped oil drain plug

Guest John Sager

Guest John Sager

I think I may have stripped my oil drain plug on my last oil change on my 2001 v11 sport. The plug goes in all the way but keeps turning at the end. There is no leakage yet, but I am concerned about oil seeping out eventually. Is there anything I can do short of purchasing a new oil pan? Thanks in advance for your help.

John Sager

Ouch! Yup, sounds like it is stripped alright. I did the same thing on my 57 Chev pickup. I know they make larger/self tapping plugs for auto use but for an Italian bike? Not so sure.

Some possible options to buying a new pan:

1. Helicoil - if you can find out the size of the drain plug (assuming this part is not stripped) threads you can purchase a helicoil kit that contains a "spring" like bit and a thread tap. Drill out the threads in the pan using specified drill bit, use tap to cut new threads, twist in helicoil which then leaves you with new stainless threads that will not strip again.

2. Find a size larger plug and drill and tap the hole for use with the new plug.

Stay away from the "thread reformers" ie any kit that gives you a JB Weld type of metal epoxy. These kits claim to restore threads but I have used a few and they do not work well, make a huge mess, and would make me very leary about trusting my girl's life blood with.

You will want to address this soon :!: :!: :!: If it will spin fully inserted, then it will most likely work its way out in short time.

I'm sure others may have some good ideas too!

Good luck!

Ryan

Guest northend

The Best repair for a stripped drain plug is a "Time Sert".

They are a thousand times better than a Heilicoil.

Check out thier website at WWW.TIMESERT.COM

Thier phone# is:775-829-1026

Trust me, these are the best thing since bottled Beer :bier:

Hope this helps.......Jeff H.

What ever method you choose, make sure when tapping the threads they come out straight. If the threads are not straight, you will always have an oil leak from the plug. Also, if you use an Heli Coil, a wider crush washer may have to be used on the drain plug.

And do not ride your bike till you get it fixed. :luigi:

Good luck,

Mike

Guest northend

The Timesert has a collar that will flush with the pan.

Trust me, this is the best, and in my mind, THE ONLY way to fix a stripped drain plug :thumbsup:

I agree with northend. But like Mike suggested make sure and keep the tap very straight. I use a small piece of metal tubing that is little larger than the tap and about half its length. Hold the piece of tubing firmly against the surface of what you are tapping while you are getting the tap started. If you are careful you can get it really straight.

Guest northend

Emry has a good point, also if you can "flare" the end with a flaring tool,that will help you hold it straight (keep it clean guys) :blink:

Guest vkerrigan

In most cases the pan threads strip and the above remedys will fix. I have seen instances (with autos) where the plug threads strip out and a simple plug replacement will fix it. You won't know till the plug comes out....Good Luck....vk

Guest John Sager

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I have looked at the timesert web site and will definitely go that direction. Great suggestion, northend. What a great forum. Your advice is very appreciated! Thanks again.