Exhaust option #5

Steve G.

Was talking to my buddy Les from Penticton last Sunday about his '02 Lemans. He quickly noticed the flat power hole just about 4000rpm. His fix he said has eliminated it. A Ferracci air filter kit on the induction side. I was surprised by the exhaust fix. He took the factory Lafranconis, took the stainless steel ends off, and cut the end off with a hack saw. Inside, expecting to find some kind of plumbing which could be removed, instead found nothing but steel wool, industrially pressed into the things. 3 hours with a long hook tool to dig the crap out [which he said was solidified with exhaust carbon making exhaust flow a joke], followed by carefully welding the end back on. He has had to have the mixture richened up, but now he said the bike will loft the front in 2nd gear [he's about 150ib], with no dip in the power.

Cost to modify exhaust, $2.00cdn for tig wire. Cost of Ferracci, about $140.00cdn.

Ciao, Steve G.

Yeah, I did try gutting stock pipes and it helps, helps a lot indeed.

But still, you end up with stock pipes which are heavy, too big and do not sound perfect.

After spending so many thousands on the significant and beautiful motorcycle why economize to save a few hundred and give up on almost perfection?

It reminds me some guys who want to save $7.28 and buy some atermarket oil filters or skimp on synthetic oils to save more pennies...or fabricate their own parts which maybe do the job but look like shit.

After spending so many thousands on the significant and beautiful motorcycle why economize to save a few hundred and give up on almost perfection?

The pipes maybe heavy but if it solved the flat spot what the heck. It will still drive better and with the money saved he can get out more.

Most of us like nice things but there is usually a balance between want, need and bank balance.

:)