Idea for product to reduce mirror vibrations

Guest Brent

I've noticed that spanning one hand (thumb-tip to pinky-tip) between the 'wings' of the fairing (the top part that the mirrors attach to) greatly decreases vibration in the mirrors. This gave me an idea for a product that should provide the same effect, but not being a 'machinist', I don't think that I could create something that would fit/look right. But I'd be willing to pay for such a product!

The idea is to take a length of round, stiff (but thin) metal, bend it to the shape of the top of the wind screen, and somehow attach this to the top pair of bolts that attach the wind screen to the fairing. (An alternate attachment location would be the metal bars that the mirrors bolt to.) When painted black, this bracket should be practically invisible. I suppose that the stock bolts would need to be replaced with longer bolts to accomodate this bracket.

Anyone willing to give this a try?

He's not talking about an arm rest, but a stiffener for the upper fairing to reduce mirror vibration. It needn't weigh very much at all. I've noticed, contemplated the same thing about my Sport 1100i but have never actually gone so far as to fix it as that particular bike is already far smoother than anything else I have.

Actually...a lil vibration is a good thing. You don't want a bike that has been refined to death otherwise, it would dilute the charm. If you want refinement, buy a Honda :D

These bikes are this way cuz, well...cuz they're Italian, built in a tiny factory on a Lake in northern Italy. So what if you can't tell if the car behind you is a Ford or a Toyota? As long as you can make out the general shape and distance, you're ok. Besides, if you're riding it right, you should be moving faster than the flow of traffic :helmet:

I didn't mean an arm rest. I just meant like handlebars have bar end weights to dampen vibration, this mirror thingie might need some heft to dampen vibrations...and even if it were light, it might transfer vibrations to somewhere more susceptible to vibrations...such as fairing or paint cracking :(

While I do try to move faster than the general flow of traffic, I do occasionally need to stop. So if a little refinement can enhance personal safety, like gel grips/lowered foot pegs/custom seat/etc. enhance personal comfort, then I'm all for it. No Hondas for me, thank you.

Even at a stop, I can make out general car shapes and distances though, they may be blurred so, I guess it comes down to personal preference.

I wasn't trying to be contentious. Everyone has different settings. ^_^

Sorry Russ! No Lemans's around here for me to experiment on!

Besides, I am busy in my spare evenings chopping up and customizing my Ural.

We're adapting a a one-in-the-country 6.2 gallon Chaing Yaing tank (Copy of a '70's BMW S tank) making a shortened custom touring seat, doing body work and eventually paint and custom canvas on the cargo hack.

My winter calendar of customizing is about full!