Homework

Guest Brian Robson

Guest Brian Robson

I've just done the 40,000Km service on the bike and several points came up.

1. The bevel box had started to exfoliate in large flakes so it was stripped and then polished. The paint must have been applied on top of Vaseline as with the first few brush strokes it all bubbled off. It only confirms that this is the route I will take eventually with the whole engine in a few years.

2. The Purolater fuel filter fits so easily in place and is a fifth of the price of the original.

3. I remain impressed with the Real Gaskets on the rocker boxes. They come off easily and have not leaked any oil. Highly recommended.

4. What a simple bike to work on. Once the bevel box came off, the swing arm and shock easily followed, which allowed the clutch to be bled and the hidden nipple on the shaft to be greased. All of the bolts whilst secure contained no lubrication, including the rose type joints on the shock, but the swing arm bearings were still smooth and just required some new grease added.

5. I had an episode of vapour lock in the week prior to the service so took the opportunity to follow Al's lead, albeit in a slightly less costly way and insulated the fuel lines. I replaced all of the fuel hoses and then wrapped them with a padded duct tape and used new fuel injection clamps. Definitely not as pretty as Al's system, but also it only cost about $20.

This bike has been ridden in all weathers up here in BC and has stood up brilliantly. With a small amount of skill, a lot of the servicing can be done at home on this terrific bike. Thanks to all of you for your advice and in particular to Jeff in Idaho to make setting the TPS a piece of cake