Front Cover Leak

emry

After about 800 miles my front cover began leaking badly. I am refering to the cover that is on the front of the engine that actually bolts to the engine block, not the small alternator cover. On the right hand side just below were the frame/engine bolt is, a small piece of gasket actually disappeared causing almost an oil spray when the bike was running. The dealer was happy to replace the gasket and explained that it was due to the engine paint wearing out under the bolt heads (cover bolts that is), thus causing the bolt to loose just enough tension to allow a leak. They also placed lock washers on all of the front cover bolts to keep this from happening in the future. Well 2800 miles today and I noticed a small oil film in the same area. Any one else had a similar problem. I would hate to have to go through a case relpacement because of a poor gasket surface.

Guest HI-TECH-CHECK

While the wrinkle black paint looks good and really makes finding an oil leak easy,it does pose problems similiar to yours. I have tightened my front cover due to seepage which has stopped it. I sometimes have to pretend I am driving the Norton and just routinely check all nuts and bolts for tightness. :lol: I am in the automobile business and see it too often in the warranty claims I have to submit to make it a big issue with a 2 cylinder machine which tends to vibrate more. I think it falls under the heading of character and the seepage is patina ;)

My LeMans is also leaking having com-pletely lost a significant piece of gasket. It would suggest that there has been a run of bad gaskets, don't you think. Dealer had a replacement overnighted from Guzzi and I should be up and running tomorrow. :rolleyes: