Copper Canyon, Mexico

Guest Roadslayer

• 2 months later...
Guest Roadslayer

Well anyway I guess it's time to respond to my own screw up. The Copper Canyon trip. In September '03' the little lady and I carted our dual sports down to Bisbee,Arizona where we left the vehicle and trailer and crossed the border for the proverbial trip to the fabled Copper Canyon. As it turned out it is entirely bike friendly as the roads are newly paved all the way to Creel where the party starts. From there is a few hundred miles of canyons(obviously) to visit and the sky is the limit if you want to carve your self beyond recognition. Also is mayby 180 miles of 'testy dirt' that will try the average dirt rider,tax a beginer and will foil your 'wanna be' glammer biker to Batopilas and,or Cerorahiu. Either way is a sportbikers heaven in a third would way. Forget the 'big bucko' thing unless you want to go to the coast which involes the parts crew and 'gringo' hotels.'The Mexican people can't be beat and can provide anything you want or need. Just be nice and say 'Buenos Dias to everyone. If anyone want's any tips 'E' me. Roadslayer

B

• 6 months later...

Hey Roadslayer. A few of us are planning to go to Copper Canyon in October of this year. Any tips on the most fun roads for dual sport 650s would be appreciated.

I'd take my 400 but without some major seat surgery I'd go through a case of Anti-Monkey butt powder :blink:

btw, we'd be trucking/trailering the bikes to Arizona.

There is the Festival Cervantino in Guanajuato Mexico.

this takes place in October, it's like mardigras, the superbowl and Octoberfest

all roll into one. From the main hwy to the town, the backroads are awesome, it's

close to the Cal. wine country,...really.

check this out

some pics

I'm planning on heading down there sometime later this year, not quite when the

Festival takes place, it get's so crowded, it's hard to enjoy. but if you never been

to the actual Festival is one of those things everybody needs to experience at

least once.

If anyone plans on trying, let's see if we can hook up. There's probably myself

and a couple of guys lined up, so we'll see... :thumbsup:

I've been thinking about this trip, but without any dirt riding. Is it truly pave in most places, or am I taking a chance riding the goose down there?

43127[/snapback]

I know someone who rode her 1100RT down there and didn'thave any problems but she took the train part of the way and back, and then continued on.

KLR650s are easy to find used and inexpensive, so I'll probably be searching for one of those, as we want to do some dirt riding. DR650s and XR650Ls are good also. KTMs tend to be pricey.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Roadslayer

attn. Dirtybill and jimbemotumbo. Wow! Two trippers at once! I am more than happy to provide you two with much information on Copper Canyon. First,if you go I would highly recommend parking your vehicle in Bizbee,Az. as Bizbee is a trip in itself. Call the RV park called 3 Twin somp'in to reserve a room and a place to leave your vehicle. It's a motel/RV park with a restaurant in front to rest up with a stiff one and Mexi'food for the night whilt's you plan for the big one. Bizbee is a cute little mining town from a century ago with lots of artsy craftsy crap going on and punks and hippies abound. Check out the Grand Hotel. A bar full of fags ,dykes dopies with the best Margaritas I,ve ever had. Ask for,no,demand one of their Prickly Pear Cactus Margaritas. It,s a long story but I,ve been there twice on bikes in seven years and it,s one of the few places you,ll ever find one. And stay in the hotel if you can. Ask for the Oriental Room,or the French Room or Hawiaan Room or Victorian Room. Bizbee is about 15 miles from Douglas,Az,the border. 50 feet inside the border on your right is immigration where you do your paper work. You know. Insurance,permits,etc. Do it. Then you,re off for 100 miles of flat desert and mountain roads. Careful. Nuevo Casas Grande is a fairly large town with everything. Then it's Buenaventura. Here you hang a right and head west to Ignacio Zaragoza. I know the maps make the road look like donkey trails but it was fresh pavement in '03. At Pena Blanca is tricky but you'll figure it out. Ask some locals,buy somebody some beer and all is well.On to Guerrero. Again another big,small town. South to the freeway,however you get there as there is 50 ways. The wife and I went into the panick mode as it was evening and a thunderstorm was abrewin'. We axed directions 5 times and they all said "that way." But "KNOW" The big fat gringo knows all. So back and forth we went like lab mice until exhaustion,then took the turn to La Junta for the night. Then onto Creel the next day. Creel is Copper Canyon. Plenty of lodging in Creel. The Best Western is gringo which is OK in Denver but I would recommend Las Margaritas on the side street with the courtyard inside to park the bikes. Plus restaurant and bar. TahDah! $30 bucks.OK? From here the roads/park forks. It's all knew pavement,all around in every direction. Sportbikes are welcome. Even Chopper Assed Slobber Davidson Horseshit can do it. Nice there aren,t any,but don,t tell anybody. Next thing is it,ll be Sturgis."PUKE!" From Creel, it,s Divisadero on pavement and to San Rafael where the pavement ends and the dirtbikin' starts. From there it's maybe 40 miles of little villages and creeks or rivers if you want to call them that. At Cerocahui there is the most bazaar contrast. One 5 star hotel and one 1 star hotel. Take your pick. After an entire day of mud, slop,pigshit,heat,flies,trucks and crashing the choice is simple. You,re here once. Ya,know? Same with Creel to Batopilas. Spend a few days. Ride the new pavement to Samachique are something. Anyway,turn off to Batopilas where the dirt starts and be ready. It,s a nice dirt road for twenty mile and rapidly goes down hill.Literally The cliffs are a thousand feet down. The road is 8 feet wide, and we are moving at one mile per hour. That is unless you can wheelie past the log truck in front of you which is easy. Just don,t fall off. Stop at La Bufa and say 'hi' to our German friend. Continue on and stop at the beer stands. In Batopilas,crawl forward all the way through town,all the way to the end until you come to the hotel on your left painted some brilliant shade of yellow. It,s the end of the road. Almost. Tell them some 'gringo' sent you. The courtyard is in the middle. Tacate is in the fridge. Recycle your cans. They pay. :bier: "CHEERS" Roadslayer.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Roadslayer

attn. Steve G. The little lady and I went for three weeks in late September. It was still 90F near the border and about 80F in Creel,which is good weather for this guy. People ride year round in those tour things and I've read about snowy trips. Not good weather for this guy. I would suggest spring or fall. We did and had fantastic weather. Even a hurricane for one day. 'Cheers' Roadslayer :bike:

• 6 months later...
Guest Roadslayer

attn. You guy's. I was hoping to get a report from 'yal,but 'nada' happened. I hoped it all went according to plan. "E" me on how it all worked out. "Trulie. "Roadslayer"

• 3 weeks later...
attn. You guy's. I was hoping to get a report from 'yal,but 'nada' happened. I hoped it all went according to plan. "E" me on how it all worked out.  "Trulie.  "Roadslayer"

71255[/snapback]

Hi Roadslayer,

Pretty sure DirtyBill has left the Guzzi fold, but last I saw him, had picked himself up a street kitted CRF 450R, as well as a Hinckely Triumph RS. So not sure if you'll hear a Copper Canyon report from him on this forum.

But, if things work out, I'll be heading a group to Baja in fall '06.

Ciao, Steve G.

Guest Roadslayer

Gotcha',SteveG. So,what's his name left the 'Guzzi' fold and went to Baja'. I did that in '93. By myself. He'll be in for a solo run and have a good time. Lotsa' culture stuff going on and lotsa' stickerbushes out there to plan the next. Good luck,to him and maybe I can catch him on another site. I was hoping to get some feedback from folks who might have ridden the U.S. to Copper Canyon ride as it is too good to be true. Sometimes I wish I was on my 'sportbike' as the ride to Copper Canyon is new pavement/backroad 'shite',and 350 miles of it. Lots a people don't realize that and there's 1000 miles,round trip of Mexi;cuture that a body can glom' onto. Be nice,and say 'Buenos Dias' to everybody,and we be getting along with all of 'em. :bier: "Cheers" Roadslayer

Guest Roadslayer

"Sorry,SteveG. It's DirtyBill who left the site. Anyway,I hope he had a wonderful time in Mexico and took lotsa' good pix. "Cheers" Roadslayer