Hand Tool Recommendations ?

Guest Bruce

Guest Bruce

Other than some cheap junk I bought recently I haven't bought mechanic tools in a long, long time. Of course the cheap stuff broke immediately. I discussed it with some one at work and his take is there is either industrial grade stuff, ie Snap-On, or there is cheap junk. And nothing in the middle.

A bit of searching shows a 1/4 inch socket set for either 9.95 or $200 plus. Although I really like Snap-On I no longer make my living this way but it is becoming a hobby I enjoy. So I'd like to find something in the middle. Does anyone have any personnal favorites? Right now I am looking for a 1/4 drive set- 6 points, and some T handle allens.

I already order most of my parts and supplies on-line.

Thanks

Buy Craftsman tools from Sears. Quality is good, prices are good - better when on sale, and best of all if you wreck them, they replace them free. Even that big expensive socket I blew apart with my impact gun trying to turn a 1958 Mercury outboard over....

no questions asked, there just has to be enough left to identify it as Craftsman.

happy tooling,

Rj

Guest bshpilot

i would agree....craftsman is great even for the professional...and if

it breaks you can take it back on your lunch break or EVEN on a SUNDAY....

try getting a replacement w/ SNAP-ON/MAC/MATCO....

Craftsman even has the nice finish chrome stuff....just like snap on ;)

Guest Bruce

Although I'd love to come visit its a pretty fair ride from Vermont to down under, my wife would be sure to notice if I were gone for a few weeks. The nearest city to me is Montreal. :wub:

As far as Sears goes I am familiar w/ their tools and still own some from several generations ago. IMHO they are not what they used to be. The really old stuff was quite good and I'd buy it again in a minute. About 15 years ago some junkie stole my box of Snap-On tools and I couldn't justify the expense of replacement so I got a Craftsman set. The differnce in quality is highly noticable.

To be fair the stuff that broke wasn't Craftsman but I'd like to have something a bit better.

True, Crafstman is not what it once was, now mostly made overseas. But their warranty is still second to none. 10yrs ago while hiking on Vancouver Island I found an old style 1/2 drive Crafstman ratchet, the old squarish head kind. Is was one solid piece of red rust. I took it back, and they handed me a new one, the old style, no questions asked. I told them it would'nt rachet very good any more.

If you find Crafstman bottom of the barrel now, I'm not sure. I'm not sure of many of the other makes in the U.S. I have an old set of American Forge 1/2" drive set, will probably be willed away after I die. Last forever. Mac is a bit less expensive than Snap On.

You say the closest city you live near is Montreal. I was going to say, for the money the best in Canada is home brand of Canadian Tire, MotoMaster. The chrome is as good as Snap On, but the keen eye will see the difference between average and high quality. Like Snap On and Mac, Moto Master wrenches are very thin wall, able to have smaller guage metal because of the quality of the metalurgy and the tempering. The price is cheaper than Craftsman, The guarantee better, and taking your U.S. buck into Canada means another 40% cheaper, plus it's Canadian made, so with free trade, you pay no duty on Canadian made stuff, just like we pay no duty on U.S. made stuff.

Ciao, Steve G.

When I was much younger (in my teens), I always used Craftsmen tools. I would break them and return them on a regular basis. Since I have been working as a Auto Tech. the last 25 years, I have been using mostly Snap-On tools. They still break and wear out but are replaced weekly by the Snap-On dealer that comes by. One of the nicer features of a well made tool is that the sockets and wrenches are thinner to get into tighter places and they also tend not to round off the heads of the bolts when torque is applied. Also, Sears is not what it used to be. Everytime I bring in a box of brokens (from home), they either need to order them or they want to give you the cheaper new stuff.

Mike

Craftsman is dog proof too! One of my dogs chewed the handle off a screwdriver & they replaced it :lol:

TX, I wouldn't tell ya this if I didn't luv ya :wub: , but you should know to keep your women away from your tools! :luigi:

Guest dkgross

To this day, the immortal words of my fatther still ring in my ears:

"SEARS HAS EVERYTHING"

when I was on the road as a touring musician...Sears provided new underwear and jeans when I was too lazy to do laundry...

when my 1969 Ford Van broke down in Minot, North Dakota in the middle of winter, Sears had an engine block heater...

and I have fond memories of my dad taking me to Sears to buy a set of Craftsman Tools, and the kind, elderly sales people explaining the LifeTime Warranty to me (as a 10 year old boy, THAT was some serious cool shit..)

and yup..what tools I do have now, are all Craftsman. God forbid I actually USE the compound mitre saw I bought to do some wood trim... LOLOL

now if only I could find a Craftsman Guzzi Motorcycle Stand :thumbsup: