Tires

twhitaker

"Sigh" The bills are starting to stack up. House needs a new roof. The gas company turned off my gas today and left me a note saying I had an "unsafe condition" meaning I have to replace the gas line from the street to the meter. $1500. We'll be using the microwave and Pizza Hut for a couple days and taking cold showers. :doh:

I predict to wife to say, "Put off the roof, fix the gas, and for Gods sake get a new tire. I want to ride. I bought you that bike. The least you could do is keep it in new shoes." What a woman. :wub:

Hey Al,

Just to clarify, for a 2001 Bike with the narrower rim, is Mike Stewart recomending the Diablo as his fave choice soft compound tire ?

I have a pretty twisty commute that I get fairly "passionate" on , as it's all country roads (4 mile hill climb to my house) so my tire wear pattern sees a lot of blistering towards the outside of the tire.

The M3's have been great but if the Diablo or Diablo Corsa was even better then i'd upgrade at my next service as the present tires will probably only last another 200 miles before the grip gets comprimised.

Robbie

Hey Al,

Just to clarify, for a 2001 Bike with the narrower rim, is Mike Stewart recomending the Diablo as his fave choice soft compound tire ?

I have a pretty twisty commute that I get fairly "passionate" on , as it's all country roads (4 mile hill climb to my house) so my tire wear pattern sees a lot of blistering towards the outside of the tire.

The M3's have been great but if the Diablo or Diablo Corsa was even better then i'd upgrade at my next service as the present tires will probably only last another 200 miles before the grip gets comprimised.

Robbie

Some of the tires I have tried on my 2000 V11 Sport

Note, On my V11Sport, I have installed a wider rear wheel (5.5), so your bike might be effected differently. The 2000 and 01 bikes might have a different head angle, which was brought up a few months ago. So the 01 bike may also handle differently than my 00 Sport.

Bridgestone 010 (works well if you can still find them, are being replaced with the newer 014, front tire does cup).

Dunlop D220 (works very well on dry roads, feels greasy on painted lines, sealed lines on roads etc. this is the tire I am currently running. Last weekend, the tire did slide on me twice, mainly over the tar sealing lines).

Metzeler Sportec M1, Pirelli Diablo ( I have used this tire for many miles, it does stick well and has a fast warm up, however, I never liked this tire on fast sweepers, the bike just does not want to settle down and is very nerve racking, the tire is very sensitive to uneven road surfaces and will follow them).

The Pirelli Diablo Corsa is my favorite so far on my 03 Rosso!

Metzeler M3 (I have heard this work well on the V11 Sport, I may try them next).

New Avon touring tire (has a great review, another tire I would like to try out).

What I have learned on the 00 V11 Sport is, it is very sensitive to the tire profiles. The more rounded the tire is (Metzeler Sportec/ Pirelli Diablo) the more nervous the bike becomes. The Bridgestone 010, 020 and the Dunlop D220 have a slightly less rounded tire profile which makes the bike slower turning while making the bike less nervous.

Mike

It only confirms the truth discovered a long time ago that the best tire is Bridgestone either 010 (014) or 020 for our bikes. On the 4.5 rim you have to run 160/60 for best results.

The wider rim and 180 tire introduces some imbalance for the sake of fad and marketing. With 160/60 rear on 4.5 rim you will not experience front cupping.