Crossover Rattle??

Guest rotorhead

Guest rotorhead

Seems that I have a rattle inside the crossoveron my "00 V11 and I don't think its a noise emanating from the Staintunes i.e. loose baffles or the like. Anybody have any experience with this? Whats the fix? Hack it open and remove the baffle inside? Probably just switch to a Stucchi eh?

Opinions? :huh:

...nope, never heard of it before, but it may have happened to others :huh2:

I suppose it's possible that some of the mesh/baffling that lines the stock crosssover may have come loose.

You can get nearly free OEM crossovers if you watch eBay, or just ask around here.... for someone's take-off when they changed out to a Stucchi, FBF, etc... They rarely sell for more than about $25.

Or yeah, you can upgrade to something like a Stucchi for around $300.

al

Guest rotorhead

I'll keep my eyes open on Ebay.......only thing is, I had the entire system ceramic coated (minus the Staintunes of course) and I'll have to get the replacement done as well.....would still be less than 3 bills though.

Anybody got one they want to get rid of????

Rotorhead

I think I may have the same rattle on my 2001 V11 Sport.. Haven't yet checked it out, but I think there's a resonant vibration somewhere around 1500 rpm.. Will probably check tonight and post..

How do you like the Staintunes? Should the budget allow, that's a set of pipes I have been considering.

Thanks,

Tim

I'll keep my eyes open on Ebay.......only thing is, I had the entire system ceramic coated (minus the Staintunes of course) and I'll have to get the replacement done as well.....would still be less than 3 bills though.

Anybody got one they want to get rid of????

.... not sure who's coating your system, but I had my entire system coated insode and out by Jet-Hot for about $140, and that included the lead-in tubes for the exhaust cans themselves. $300 seems a bit steep for just the crossover :huh2:

If you are willing to spend that kind of money, I'd just get a Stucchi and get it coated. I suspect that would be about $350-75 total, including coating.

Good luck B)

Guest rotorhead

No, no Al..........What I meant was that the cost of a replacement Xover and then getting it coated was still less than the 3 bills for a stucchi or the like. I, like you, had the entire system coated by Performance Coatings here in Georgia for 110.00.

I was just curious if its possible to cut it open and removed the baffle, sew it back up and recoat. Would it be a big deal to hack it open? :huh:

I like the Staintunes just fine!! They sound excellent as well!! Purchased them omline from a outfit in Cali (not CBT Imports though) that I can't remember the name of, for 550 a pair.

....ahhh, I get cha :thumbsup:

I'm sure you could open up the stock cross-over and fix it up at a good welder and exhaust shop... although I'm not sure how the ceramic would hold up to that, so you might have to get it recoated.

al

• 4 years later...

I wonder if anyone might have found the cause of this. I noticed in my 01 v11 sport that there is definitely something loose within my crossover. Whatever it is, its not coming out easily so I don't suspect it went in easily. Whats actually in there that could have broken loose? I've been meaning to upgrade my exhaust system anyways, maybe this is a sign.

BTW, I love this forum. I don't post much at all but I always seem to be lurking, and recently diagnosed a bad RPM sensor from information I found here.

Thanks Everyone!

I wonder if anyone might have found the cause of this. I noticed in my 01 v11 sport that there is definitely something loose within my crossover. Whatever it is, its not coming out easily so I don't suspect it went in easily. Whats actually in there that could have broken loose? I've been meaning to upgrade my exhaust system anyways, maybe this is a sign.

BTW, I love this forum. I don't post much at all but I always seem to be lurking, and recently diagnosed a bad RPM sensor from information I found here.

Thanks Everyone!

From reports, the stock x-over has a shell-within-a-shell construction, so the internal shell [which is constructed of perf'd. sheet metal] may have broken loose from one of its supports, or otherwise cracked & is rattling. That's about the only scenario I can imagine...

From reports, the stock x-over has a shell-within-a-shell construction, so the internal shell [which is constructed of perf'd. sheet metal] may have broken loose from one of its supports, or otherwise cracked & is rattling. That's about the only scenario I can imagine...

Thanks, that's about what I imagined there being in there. Maybe I should stop jumping my bike so much.... NAH! oh well. I'll try to figure out how to get that piece out tmrw, but I've been wanting to do something more dramatic with the exhaust for quite some time now. I really like what those motobox chaps have done with the undertail on the daytona, I'll crunch some numbers and see what I can do along those lines.

I sure hope no one minds me posting this pic.

image4.jpg

Thanks, that's about what I imagined there being in there. Maybe I should stop jumping my bike so much.... NAH! oh well. I'll try to figure out how to get that piece out tmrw, but I've been wanting to do something more dramatic with the exhaust for quite some time now. I really like what those motobox chaps have done with the undertail on the daytona, I'll crunch some numbers and see what I can do along those lines.

I sure hope no one minds me posting this pic.

image4.jpg

Get the Stucchi x-over and don't look back: lower wt., better sound, and will go w/ that oh-so-sexy undertail ex. you've got very well! :thumbsup: