My Two Bros' bar riser clamp is cracking

Guest IanJ

Guest IanJ

So, this is just a heads-up for anyone who currently has or is considering getting a set of the Two Brothers Racing bar risers like I have. I think they're called the V3 bar risers. Anyway. My set, which have been installed for just under 2 years, is developing a crack in the right-hand clamp:

img_3867-sm.jpg

img_3867-md.jpg

It's not a good situation, and leads me to a number of disturbing conclusions, the most important of which is that I need to get these things off my bike and find a different riser setup. I don't believe this crack represents an immediate danger when riding the bike, but I sure don't want to ride more than I have to with this thing waiting to spring on me.

The best guess on how this crack happened is that between a flaw in the aluminum and the stresses placed on the clamp from steering/braking/weight forces, a small tear started, and has been progressing slowly down the material.

I called TBR to see what they had to say about it, and without trying unnecessarily to trash them, the response was, "that's too bad, you'd better buy a replacement set." No offers of reduced rates or maybe selling just one instead of the prepackaged pair of clamps (at $180 retail), much less a gratis replacement. I understand their position, but it's not really conducive to long-term relationships with customers, as I now feel somewhat cheated, having to throw away ~$400 worth of their aluminum (or buy another $180 of it, which I now fear will fail in a similar time-frame -- much less any incipient failures in the other 5 parts in the system).

Anyway, just so you're all aware of the situation. I'm going to look into installing a set of generic handlebar mounts with some pull-back and a low-rise handlebar of some variety. I'd like to get the same basic position with a few modifications.

To be fair, both TBR and Moto International were surprised that I was having this problem, and expressed that they'd never heard of it happening before. It may just be that I got the one with a flaw in the material, but after the way TBR responded on the phone, I'm not interested in inflating their pocketbooks any time soon.

I would insist on speaking to a manager and give them a second shot.

Their reputation is too valuable to hang out to dry on an anomally like this.

This is clearly a manufacturing defect and the clamp could not handle the torque.

Worst case scenario you could sell the set and someone could benefit from all the remaining good parts as the part that cracked on your set should be the last piece to break in a crash.

But TBR should warrant it after seeing the photos.

Yah, I would not ride with that crack.

If it splits while riding, and eventually it will, you are gonna end up with a loose left bar and your weight falling off the bike.

Of course you could duct tape it on... :not:

Guest bshpilot

mine are fine...and ive had nothing but good dealings w/ the folks at

two brothers racing.

were the bolts torqued to spec ? were they lubed w/ anti-seiz as

directed in the installation directions ? (just wondering/offering

suggestions)

Guest IanJ

Good thoughts, all.

The clamps and bars were installed by Moto International. As far as I know, they were installed according to the instructions provided (with the exception of the painting, but I really don't think painting could have caused this problem).

I'll give them a call again and show them the pictures of the crack. Even if they'll just sell me a replacement clamp at cost, that would be so much better than other options I'm considering.

Yeah, I'm definitely not going to ride more than I have to. I'm waiting on one part to get my other bike back on the road, then the Le Mans will go into short-term storage until I can figure out a different handlebar setup.

[moments later]

I just spoke with Dave at TBR (again, apparently), and I got the same line, even as he was looking at the picture. "You want me to stand by a part that's two years old and has been painted? No way." I asked, "will you at least sell me a single clamp at retail?" The answer: "I'll have my warehouse person look around and see if he can find one." To me, this implies that he'll look for one that's not too dinged up and hasn't been crushed under the tire of a forklift more than once. I'm not interested in following TBR around like a dog waiting for table scraps.

I'm being treated like a retarded child by Dave at TBR. I asked to speak to his manager, and he said, "I'm as high as you're going to get...without going to the owner." Either he's the VP of Everything, or they have one phone guy, and he needs to work on his customer relations skills.

Whatever the case, I will NEVER buy anything from TBR again if I can possibly help it. They've lost a customer for life.

Now, to be completely fair, I do understand why they don't want to have anything to do with this. I understand why they don't want to warrant the part at all, I almost understand why they don't want to make an effort like splitting a packaged set of clamps up. What I don't understand is why Dave had to be such a prick about it. I think that ultimately, that's what's really getting to me.

Anyone want to buy a V3 bar riser set (slightly damaged)?

"You want me to stand by a part that's two years old and has been painted? No way."

They just took a major hit to their reputation.

The paint would not do that to the clamps.

Overtorquing might, but they should have designed the allen head to strip before cracking the clamp.

I am not an engineer, but that is an obvious manufacturing defect, which I would not hold moto international responsible for.

Clearly the manfacturer blew it, sh^t h@ppens.

Put it on eBay, spare no details, count your losses. :(

Did I mention I am happy with my convertibars that I picked up on eBay?

I do feel a little more vibration, as I have no bar end weights and went back to the stock mirrors, but the quality and adjustability are very good.

Longer hydraulics and throttle cable are next...next year..

Guest IanJ

No, I'm definitely not holding MI responsible for this problem. I think it's a materials defect (I don't actually think TBR milled the thing incorrectly, they just got a bad batch of aluminum). I would have replaced it with another TBR clamp, since that's the easiest solution. But after the way I was treated on the phone, I'll take my $180 somewhere else, and I can probably get an entire setup with bar clamps, a handlebar and machining for less than that.

I'm actually looking forward to having "real" handlebars, since I've been trying to figure out how the heck I would mount the Autocom PTT switch I have for my radio/intercom setup, and I'd like to move my GPS mount to the left side of the bars (where there's already no room) to ease left-handed button pushing.

Ian, sorry to hear about your riser- that's just not right. Better that you caught it rather than it catching you I suppose.

I like the handlebars on my bike- more and more as I ride it.

My .02 worth- get risers that are independent- that don't have a one-piece top clamp (like stock guzzi ones). It will give you a bit more room to mount stuff.

I've found with handlebars that I do a _lot_ more countersteering in corners. Don't know why.

J

Looking at the pictures, it seems to me that there just isn't enough material around such an area,. Remember this is probably just cast aluminum, not steel. The weight placed on these things when you are grabbing a handfull of brake is considerable, there just isn't enough meat there.

Ciao, Steve G.

Guest IanJ

Well, I can't really speak to the engineering of the clamps. They look kinda thin to me now that I inspect that area, but not too thin. I'm sure it was a compromise between keeping the weight off and making them strong enough. Moto International pointed out that these are "off-road only" racing components, so they're not built to the same durability standards that street components would be. Hopefully the dirtbike bar clamps and steel street bar I'm going to put on will address that little problem. ^_^

JRT, what handlebars/clamps do you have? Could you post a picture or two? I'd really like to see how others have set up their bars when installing actual handlebars.