Question about clip on handle bars bore size

Guest 1100sport

Guest 1100sport

Hi everyone,

I bought a pair of second hand inverted WP forks from a sport 1100 ie to mount on my 1100 carbed sport. I am about to purchase a nice pair of adjustable clip-on handle bars made by Sato racing. I think that I read somewhere that the clip on size should be 54mm. Can anyone confirm or correct me as to what the right size is ? (I cant measure them right now but would like to order...)

Thank you in advance,

Mathieu

Guest 1100sport

Thanks Paul !

It took me some research but I managed to gather all the required parts, notably thanks to your help : I am the one who bought Huite's pair of superb magnesium PVM wheels thanks to your information. I also purchased a special triple clamp made by Daes Mototec with a reduce offset (30mm instead of 45mm) to reduce wheelbase and put more weight on the front end.

Right now I am in the US, and wont come back to my country of France before august, so I shop around to get the last parts that I need !

BTW, Huite told me that the bearings in the front wheel would not fit (the Ohlins axle should be bigger than the WP ?). By any chance, do you know on the top of your head what the right bearing size is for the WP forks ?

I saw the last pictures of your prototype : awsome. BTW, have you heard of CP racing ? It is an italian garage, which prepare spine frame for racing in the Italian twin championship. His specialty is to reduce the length of the spine frame of about 5 centimeters. To accomodate the reduction of height, he then lowers the forks of 7 centimeters in the triple clamp. It is very impressive. You can take a look at http://www.cpracing.it/cp_guzzi.htm

Best,

Mathieu

Ok, now the picture is clear. The Ohlins uses 25 mm axle, I think with a 47mm bearing. I don't know what is in the wp forks. But bearings are not a problem. A bearing shop has the right size in stock, nothing special.

I have seen the cp racing story. 5 cm is a lot. I was told by dynotec that that only can be done without alternator, that's where you have the problem, when making it shorter. Dynotec makes it 25mm shorther, thats including the one degree steeper steering head.

I have ghezzi& brian eccentric steering head bearings, they are one degree steeper, that makes the wheelbase 10mm shorther. Then I have also a 30mm offset triple clamp. That made some difference, but now with the light front wheel, steering has become lighter than ever.

So with 10 + 15mm = 25mm the wheelbase is a bit shorter. I gained 10mm at the back with the swingarm. So that should be 35mm shorther.

I'm more satisfied with the bike then ever. Part of that is also the öhlins forks. Much better than the WP.

At speed changing direction is much easyer, so much that I still have to get used to it.

I'm going to do a small series of tailsections as on my bike, with the subframe. Something for you?

If you come back in july we can meet at the trofeo rosso in france.

Guest 1100sport

I find your tail section very neat and it seems extremely light too. You obviously have put a lot of thought into it. Actually, I was very interested by your design, I even spoke to Huite about the possibility of you doing a new rear sub frame for me ! But two weeks ago, Stile Italiano, with which I had been in contact in the past, offered to build a special tail for me. As I already agreed, I am hand tied now. Too bad we did not discuss about it before.

FYI, I enclose two pictures of the new tail section. The first one shows the design for the 1100 ie (with the v11 type sideplates). Mine is a bit different of course. The second photo shows a top view of mine, before painting.

Mathieu

post-5-1086823368_thumb.jpg

I had seen that once, a mix of classic style and modern, strange with original silencers. The balance to much to the back. Not my style italano:-). What do they ask for a tank? I want a new tank, only shorthend from the back. But same shape. My subframe:

draadjes.jpg

Guest 1100sport

A couple of things...

I may be wrong but I seem to recall that you wrote somewhere that you were looking for a rear shock Ohlins.

I am about to acquire one and I wanted to share with you a few things I have learned about this subject.

First, the original WP shock is 287mm long. There is a lot to gain in increasing the lenght (quicker steering, reduced wheelbase, better ground clearance). As a matter of fact I discovered in reading the excellent 'Moto Guzzi Big Twins" that the original racer built Dr. John Wittner (whose frame was identical in dimension to the one fitted on the Daytona/1100sport) used a longer rear shock raising the rear of 3 centimeters. Of course the trade of is an increased effort on the U-Joint.

In light of the foregoing, going for the Scura/Rossocorsa Ohlins is not satisfying because the shock retains the length of the original. Thus I spent some (=a lot) of time looking around for the right Ohlins shock. I knew that it should be an 46 HRC or HRCL or HRCS (because of the hosed reservoir). Well, I discovered that Daes Mototec uses the Ohlins made for the 888 Ducati which measures 330 mm. There we are... But the Ohlins site does not list this shock anymore. So I went to a US Ducati forum where some very helpful people gave me all the references :

3 possible Ohlins shocks for 888 (=suitable for spine frame Guzzi):

The Ohlins Type 46HRC (Du807), 46HRCL (Du904), and

46HRCLS (Du302) will fit the 851/888 bikes.

One last info : the price for these shocks is much less in the USA.

I just read your post : the price for the Alu tank is 450 euros (I am not taking it nor the front fairing).

Unfortunately, I wont be back for the Trofeo rosso. Hope to see you another time though !

Mathieu

Mateu, don't confuse the lenght of the shock for the daytona and the rest!

Because the different airbox on the newer bikes(all after the daytona). They had less space for the shock mounting. So my bike has original 315 lenght, going to 330 is much, the bike lifts its back twice the shock lenght addition. So 330 on my bike will raise the back 3cm. That is much to much for yours.

Best thing is to get an ohlins with an L in the type, that has lenght adjustability. I do have an ohlins here, only the sping and internals have to be adjusted to my bike. If you are going to do the cp racing thing, then wait with the back, you can't seperate these things. I would look for an shock that has the original lenght, and can be extended with lenght adjustment.

Most knowledge in this has Dynotec in germany. They know how much is wise to raise the back. The lenght isn't the only thing a shock should have, the 888 is a shock made for a link mechanism, completly different internal.

There is an lenght adjustable Ohlins on ebay now:

http://cgi.ebay.nl/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...7904459320&rd=1

At the moment I have the bak 10mm higehr then original. And from that, dynotec said, that I shouln't do more because of the u-joints. But my rear is completly different then anything else, because of the long swingarm ( 460mm) ( 400mm original), and my pivot for the swingarm is a bit lower.

How do I contact stille italiano?

I go to sleep now. bye