Mirror question

dbdicker

after the slow speed drop of my Scura, I needed new mirrrors. I looked upon it as an opportunity, perhaps I could find better (neater looking and better visibility) replacements for the stock mirrors. MG wanted over $50 bucks for a replacement for the stockers which aren't seemingly much.

I found the catalogs for replacement universal mirrors little help. They didn't ever give good statistics about stem size and class size, whether they were convex or flat, how adjustable they were etc...........

I have installed these rather pricey Napoleon mirrors which I think look great, have a large viewing area and are very adjustable. Only problem is, they don't extend far enough out to give me much more of a view than I had with the stockers. However, they are constructed in 2 pieces and screwed together, so that if I could somehow find an extender tube, with a male thread on one end and a female thread on the other, I could attach these where the stem ends meet and solve the problem. Perhaps 2 inches is plenty, certainly 3 would solve everything.

does anyone know of such a small extender? Or, barring that, does anyone have an aftermarket mirror that they swear by (other than the bar end mirrors I don't want )?

Any other great engineering solutions I've not thought of?

Thanks,

Dan

• Like 1

Guest caffreydog

Dan,

Before my lowside I had Napoleon barends mounted on my 2000 V11. My bar ends are frozen in place, so I had to come up with an alternate location. I had a friend machine the 'keyed' post off the barend mirror. Then I simply used a socket head cap screw, a wave washer, and a nut to mount the mirrors through the clutch and brake lever holes. I was able to rotate the mirrors enough that I got a great view back along the bike.

Alternately, Nopoleon is making the 'Baren TT' now that replaces the keyed post with what was essentially my machined off version. They supply a 10mm bolt for attaching to the stock mirror post...